3500XL to carry voice traffic

Unanswered Question
Aug 7th, 2009

I purchased 3500XL switch for my Voice Lab Call Manager 4.1(3)sr8.

It doesn't support POE so I had to purchase external power kit for my (2)7960 IP Phones. Configuration below, I applied to my 3500XL switch, but I couldn't get it to work with IP Phones. The Phones wouldn't get registered to Call Manager, and wouldn't receive IP Address via DHCP. I even configured the phone with static IP Address, but couldn't ping the phone from the Publisher or Subscriber.

To minimize the complexity, I put both servers and IP Phones on the same Vlan.

Ports 1 and 2 are assigned to Pub/Sub, and Ports 14 and 15 assigned to IP Phones.

Config for the Servers:

interface fa0/1

switchport access vlan 10

interface fa0/2

switchport access vlan 10

interface fa0/14

switchport voice vlan 10

switchport mode trunk

switchport priority extend trust

interface fa0/15

switchport voice vlan 10

switchport mode trunk

switchport priority extend trust

Static configuration for Phone:

IP address----

DHCP Server---Disabled

Couldn't ping the phone from the publisher.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lwai Sun, 08/09/2009 - 06:13

Hi All,

If the voice vlan is 10, please configure the ports connecting with IP phone with the following

interface FastEthernet0/12

description connect IP phone

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 10

spanning-tree portfast

It works fine for me.

abbas.ali Sun, 08/09/2009 - 22:57

Yes, I did add the VLAN 10 in the database.

The only command I am missing is "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q", but that should not stop the Layer 2 connectivity though. I had router on stick configuration on 2600XM router connected to 3500XL switch, and I defined the DHCP pool in a router, but the IP Phone wasn't able to receive the IP address from the pool. I then disabled DHCP Server on the phone, and statically assigned the IP Address below, but I couldn't ping the Publisher/Subscriber from the IP Phone. In a lab, I installed the CCM 4.1(3) sr8, but I don't if I have to enable any services in "Service Activation Menu" May be this is the problem, I guess.

lwai Sun, 08/09/2009 - 23:48

If we don't define dot1q, the switch will use cisco ISL as default encapsulation.

Did you add the dot1q command for testing?

The Publisher should connect to a port that mode should be configured access mode and don't change it to trunk mode.

Let the Publisher work as DHCP server, it should be work.

This Discussion