Setting up Wi-Fi Hotspot

Unanswered Question
Aug 9th, 2009

I am setting up a wireless hotspot at a marina and am trying to determine the best option, equipment for this. I need to cover about a 600 to 1000ft radius. Also, I currently have 2 seperate internet accounts, one for the business, and one for the hotspot. Would it be best to keep it this way, or could I set-up like a guest access for the public users, and a different access for the employees to allow them into our network, and if so, how secure is this?

Any recommendations on what to read to catch up on the best ways to mount the antenae's etc?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Lucien Avramov Tue, 08/11/2009 - 20:46

A couple of questions before jumping to suggestions:

600 - 1000 ft: outdoor or indoor?

A solution with WLC a AP is a nice to have but that also involves cabling. You could perhaps think about a Wireless Mesh outdoor network, if it's for outdoor use.

It will be easier to have multiple SSIDs for guest and private network. This is straight forward to configure on the WLC.

Best way to mount the antennas: well first you need to choose the access points with their coverage. If it's outdoor, you want to have them high enough to cover the 1000ft but you need a smaller ap under it to cover the area that will not be covered by the AP in the air.

Actions

This Discussion