cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with SLM2008 throughput (updated)

Hi,

My setup was ReadyNas NV+ - Netgear ProSafe 16 port Gigabit Switch (GS116) - Air Live Ovislink 8 port 100Mb switch (FSH8PS) - Popcorn A100 (no HDD).

In this setup every video from the Readynas played well on the popcorn, never a problem, 13GB mkv 150 minutes movie plays well.

Then the netgear just stops working after 3 years. So, what now? After reading some reviews, I buy the SLM2008.

From that moment only 300MB avi video on the Readynas plays (reasonably) well, mkv or DVD (ISO or VIDEO_TS folder) plays intermittently, no audio. The Avi plays well most of the time, but it takes 10 seconds before it starts.

UPDATE: when this happens the netork interface on the ReadyNas shows a massive number of TCP retransmits.

When I replace the SLM2008 with another Air Live Ovislink 8 port 100Mb switch (FSH8PS) everything works ok, just as the netgear did.

I had jumbo frames enabled, so I enabled them in the SLM2008, no change, still problems.

I enabled flow control (on the SLM2008), no difference.

I enabled QoS, no difference (I forgot which mode).

Is there a setting that I can change on the SLM2008 that will let me play video from the ReadyNas?

Please help :-).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrcoope
Level 1
Level 1

I would try resetting to factory defaults and then disable auto negotiate for the ports and set the speeds manually to that of the devices. This is impossible for us to replicate in our labs given the equipment being used.

If you find this does not improve things, you might try different ports with the same configurations.

Perhaps use wireshark to capture what is going on and post the captures here as well as the configuration of the switch as well.

Regards,

Christopher

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

chrcoope
Level 1
Level 1

I would try resetting to factory defaults and then disable auto negotiate for the ports and set the speeds manually to that of the devices. This is impossible for us to replicate in our labs given the equipment being used.

If you find this does not improve things, you might try different ports with the same configurations.

Perhaps use wireshark to capture what is going on and post the captures here as well as the configuration of the switch as well.

Regards,

Christopher

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I bought my way out of it by replacing the 100Mb Ovislink withi another SLM2008. I read some posts about buffer sizes and problems with mixing 100Mb and 1Gb connections. By directly connecting the popcorn to the SLM2008 the problem was gone (but then the other network devices, four or so, in my living room are disconnected). So I replaced that hub also. Haven't tested the old xbox yet (100Mb), but that isn't used that much anymore.

Good work! Thanks for the update as well.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X