cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2

scott.lorenzen
Level 1
Level 1

We are getting ready to start over... To many issues with LMS 3.1 and the server we have for this. So time to punt and upgrade to 3.2 which our Cisco Rep has explained we really need to do.

However, my question is how many have upgraded and seen a difference between 3.1 and 3.2? What operating system is mostly recommened for this? I see that it supports 32/64 and windows 2008 but that does not mean that it play well with the new version of windows.

Just looking for some opinions of what others are doing.

5 Replies 5

Varun Chandrasekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is not easy to collect stats on whether Windows / Windows on VMWare is or Solaris is the platform of choice as the LMS media is supplied for both OS thereby giving the NOC to use either one. Performance issues come into play when the server's minimum requirements are not met (such as HDD / RAM / swap space / virtual memory).

One thing we do recommend is not to have anti-virus (AV) installed on the server when

a) LMS is being installed;

b) LMS is in use.

However, if corporate policy does require AV installed on all machines, then ensure that the AV engine

a) Is NOT running when LMS is being installed;

b) NEVER scans the /CSCOpx/ directory and its sub-directories.

Refer to the installation guide and/or release notes to ensure that the server conforms to

a) At least the minimum hardware requirements;

b) The EXACT operating system requirements (such as service pack level, etc.)

LMS 3.2 has multiple updates and bug fixes. It also includes a "scroll over" user interface where it is not necessary to click on a link/option to see see the choices listed under that section. Moving the mouse pointer over the section expands the sub-menus.

To order LMS 3.2, refer to Table 2 of the product bulletin:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/product_bulletin_c25-534875.html

Note that except for CWLMS-3.2-100-K9 (LMS 3.2 for 100 or fewer Cisco network devices), which is only available for the Windows platform, the others are available for both Windows and Solaris operating systems.

Thank you for the input. I believe we are going to stick with a hard machine for now since when we did use a VM we had even more problems. As for the Symantec I think we still have to run it on the server but I will make sure during this implementation that we install after we do LMS and exclude the Program Files\CSCO folders since there are two of them.

How about 32/64 which is better as for the reponse time of LMS and is 2003 prefered or is 2008?

Scott,

There isn't really much to recommend and the answer to both your questions is the same. Performance wise, one is not any more optimized than the other. You will only need to watch out for the compliance to the minimum requirements in terms of both hardware and software.

A side-by-side comparison between the 32-bit and the 64-bit operating systems will show little or no difference.

As far as the choice between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 goes, it only comes down to how comfortable the server adminstrators are with the 2008 release.

Perhaps the only thing you may need to consider is how much longer will Microsoft continue to provide support for and updates for the 2003 release. Otherwise, LMS's performance remains almost identical with any choice and you will be well-positioned either way.

- Varun

Excellent and I will work it as such. I manage both the basics for the LMS system and the server itself so this is a Win-Win for me. Thanks for your input.

You're most welcome. If at anytime you need troubleshooting assistance, open a case at www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen and we'll help you out.