Accessing switch with no enable password

Answered Question
Aug 10th, 2009
User Badges:

Somehow one of my co-workers configured a series of switches for a customer without an enable password so now when you attempt to connect to them via telnet you get the 'no enable password set' error. Is there anyway to fix this without having to individually touch each one and reconfiguring it?

Correct Answer by Lucien Avramov about 7 years 10 months ago

If you have console access to it, it will be pretty fast, you can set it over a console connection.

Else you can configure over snmp but only if you have an SNMP RW string. I can post details on how to achieve this via snmp, but make sure you have an RW community string

Correct Answer by John Blakley about 7 years 10 months ago

You could try to set one via snmp if you have that enabled for write access, otherwise you'll need to reconfigure the switches.

HTH,

John

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
John Blakley Mon, 08/10/2009 - 10:55
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

You could try to set one via snmp if you have that enabled for write access, otherwise you'll need to reconfigure the switches.

HTH,

John

Correct Answer
Lucien Avramov Mon, 08/10/2009 - 11:16
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

If you have console access to it, it will be pretty fast, you can set it over a console connection.

Else you can configure over snmp but only if you have an SNMP RW string. I can post details on how to achieve this via snmp, but make sure you have an RW community string

Istvan_Rabai Mon, 08/10/2009 - 11:17
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

One way to fix it remotely is to put the switches on a terminal server using their console port.

You should then telnet into the switches through the terminal server and configure them.

The drawback is that you need a terminal server on the site where the switches are located.

Cheers:

Istvan

Actions

This Discussion