cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing switch with no enable password

nshoe18
Level 1
Level 1

Somehow one of my co-workers configured a series of switches for a customer without an enable password so now when you attempt to connect to them via telnet you get the 'no enable password set' error. Is there anyway to fix this without having to individually touch each one and reconfiguring it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try to set one via snmp if you have that enabled for write access, otherwise you'll need to reconfigure the switches.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

If you have console access to it, it will be pretty fast, you can set it over a console connection.

Else you can configure over snmp but only if you have an SNMP RW string. I can post details on how to achieve this via snmp, but make sure you have an RW community string

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try to set one via snmp if you have that enabled for write access, otherwise you'll need to reconfigure the switches.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

If you have console access to it, it will be pretty fast, you can set it over a console connection.

Else you can configure over snmp but only if you have an SNMP RW string. I can post details on how to achieve this via snmp, but make sure you have an RW community string

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

One way to fix it remotely is to put the switches on a terminal server using their console port.

You should then telnet into the switches through the terminal server and configure them.

The drawback is that you need a terminal server on the site where the switches are located.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card