cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Choices

J_R_Cowan
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a public school district to interface a ViewCast 6116 encoder to a T1 (not PRI) to stream their public access programming to AT&T's U-verse PEG system.

I have tried to find some choices using the menus and also searching on the Cisco web site but have not been able to find much information on a video capable router with the needed CSU/DSU interface (builtin or add on slot)? It doesn't need to be the current model or the latest and greatest, it can even be a model past EOL.

I did locate the 1841 but since I am not a network tech, I could not be sure this was a good choice. Will this work or are there other low end choices?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1841 is the right choice for new equipment, if using refurbished, a 2801 is also economical also. Use WIC-T1-DSU-V2 that is the cheapest module.

Try to locate a reputable consultant in doing this kind of work else you risk wasting time and money.

p.bevilacqua - Thanks for your reply. I viewed it earlier this evening and have done a little more research.

For you or any of the other helpful techs on this Forum-

Is the Video setup on these routers with the Cisco AutoInstall, manually, or do they come preconfigured?

Thanks again.

Hi, router doesn't do anything special for video, it just transport IP packets whatever they are. What you may need, is Qos, again I don't recommend you do that alone to avoid chances of frustration.

p.bevilacqua - Thanks again.

So a 1751 that the school district has on hand would be just as good? It has the T1 card.

And since this is a direct connect to AT&T's PEG interface, QoS sould not be an issue. Is there any other criteria, parameters, settings I should be aware of?

Thanks once again.

Yes, a 1751 it's OK.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card