Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan Multicast Routing

mike_guy29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to find a way (if possible) over routing multicast between two vlans on the same switch. The switch I am using is a 3560 running 12.2 IOS.

In the past we have used the IPServices and used PIM Sparse mode, however I am trying to see if there is a way of performing this routing using IPBase. There is only one hop and its all on the same switch so would be good to save on the extra licensing money if possible.

I have been playing around with a command "ip pim passive" on both the VLAN SVIs and managed to see the multicast stream routed and appearing on a laptop (DTV stream is on one vlan - continously streaming and Laptop is on another VLAN). However after I stopped the stream and tried again I have not been able to recreate it even though the config has not changed. It is now really bugging me as I have seen it work!!

So any ideas?! Is it possible to peform this simple intervlan multicast routing without using IPServices.

Thanks

Mike

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Thanks for that. Yes I have already looked through that document. The pim sparse dense commands however are not available on the base image. The only interface PIM command is ip pim passive I believe

Regards

If that's the case, then you need to upgrade to a more advanced image.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card