cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Unity-Server and Application

mwheinz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a project to install version 7 Unity UM and migrate existing Unity version 5 users to this new server. My plan is to install the new server into the same domain using new server name. Since it's an upgraded version I cannot use DiRT, so shall I use COBRAS? If so, is it required to take the "old" server off of the network before the import into the new server?

Afterwards, I'll be adding a Unity HA server but I imagine that's not difficult or relevant to migrating the users to the new version/server which will be the initial activity.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

The recommended method to migrate subscribers from one Cisco Unity server to another Cisco Unity server that reside in the same Active Directory would be:

1.Add the new Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server to the environment.

2. Back up the old Cisco Unity 5.0(1) server with the latest version of the COBRAS backup utility for Cisco Unity. The latest version can be obtained from www.ciscounitytools.com

3. Move subscribers from the Cisco Unity 5.0(1) server to the Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server with the latest version of the Global Subscriber Manager (GSM) utility from www.ciscounitytools.com (You can move one or more subscribers at a time).

4. Restore the desired data from the COBRAS backup with the COBRAS restore utility for Cisco Unity to the Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server. (You have the option to restore selected subscribers data).The latest version of the COBRAS restore utility for Cisco Unity can be obtained from www.ciscounitytools.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

The recommended method to migrate subscribers from one Cisco Unity server to another Cisco Unity server that reside in the same Active Directory would be:

1.Add the new Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server to the environment.

2. Back up the old Cisco Unity 5.0(1) server with the latest version of the COBRAS backup utility for Cisco Unity. The latest version can be obtained from www.ciscounitytools.com

3. Move subscribers from the Cisco Unity 5.0(1) server to the Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server with the latest version of the Global Subscriber Manager (GSM) utility from www.ciscounitytools.com (You can move one or more subscribers at a time).

4. Restore the desired data from the COBRAS backup with the COBRAS restore utility for Cisco Unity to the Cisco Unity 7.0(2) server. (You have the option to restore selected subscribers data).The latest version of the COBRAS restore utility for Cisco Unity can be obtained from www.ciscounitytools.com

Great post, good info!. So I'm free to change the name of the new server and that won't impact the COBRA import? Is it required that I do the COBRA import after moving the subs with GSM? What important info gets imported with COBRA?

Thanks, I've done lots of Unity work but somehow never used COBRA!

COBRAS does not care about the server name. It is not required that you use COBRAS as part of your migration process,however it does backup/restore alot more data (see the COBRAS help file)than you will get just moving the subscribers with Global Subscriber Manager (GSM). Global Subscriber Manager only copies high level subscriber data e.g. user name, password, extension, etc.

I'm really just concerned about recorded name, greeting, ext, alternate ext, and message notification settings. Will GSM migrate those? What info would COBRA migrate that you have seen is missing and has caused issues using only GSM?

Thanks again, you're really helping.

GSM doesn't get message notification, private lists, it doesn't maintain relationships with one key rules to handler (it just "cauderizes" them), after message destinations etc...

it will get voice name, greetings and extensions - right off hand I'm not sure it gets all alternate extensions (it may not get user added - I'd have to check). COBRAS gets all of that.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what GSM moves, I do know that it does not move much and I'm pretty certain it is not going to get message notification devices.

Please see the COBRAS help file on www.ciscounitytools.com for more information on what COBRAS backs up and restores.

Thanks to all for their help! I'll use GSM to migrate the users, then restore using COBRAS, and then add the failover server.

Thanks again!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: