cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CM 5.1.1

cyoungblut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I am looking to upgrade from 5.1.1 to 6.1.?(3). Depending on the Cisco TAC I get different suggestions - wish they were more consistent. Anyone that has gone from 5.1(1) to 6.x could you provide the path? I cannot go direct from 5.1(1) to 6.1.3 so I need an intermediate step. Could go direct to 6.1.1 and then to 6.1.3 or 5.1.1 to 5.1.3 and then to 6.1.3. I am beginning to read thru the release notes as well as the bugs each may have.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brandoncheah
Level 1
Level 1

I have done both. My recommendation to you is that if you are going to 6.1.3, you might as well go to 6.1.4 right after.

Here is what upgrades i have done:

Gone from 5.1.1 to 5.1.3

and then from 5.1.3 to 6.1.3

and then from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4

Main thing to remember here is do your publisher, reboot it and make sure it is stable. After that, you can do your subscribers. Also make sure that you dont make any config changes to your call manager while doing your upgrade.

If you have more than one subscriber, you can upgrade them all at the same time. Main thing to remember here is to have your publisher upgraded, then rebooted to stability. After that, you can do your subscribers simulteanously and reboot them one by one.

You might run into the issue where the CUCM machines do not recognize your DVD media upgrade, you can either do SFTP or CLI to get the file over to the CUCM boxes.

Here is a good resource for the CLI upgrade method.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/cisco-uc-application-upgrade---the-cli-method.html

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

brandoncheah
Level 1
Level 1

I have done both. My recommendation to you is that if you are going to 6.1.3, you might as well go to 6.1.4 right after.

Here is what upgrades i have done:

Gone from 5.1.1 to 5.1.3

and then from 5.1.3 to 6.1.3

and then from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4

Main thing to remember here is do your publisher, reboot it and make sure it is stable. After that, you can do your subscribers. Also make sure that you dont make any config changes to your call manager while doing your upgrade.

If you have more than one subscriber, you can upgrade them all at the same time. Main thing to remember here is to have your publisher upgraded, then rebooted to stability. After that, you can do your subscribers simulteanously and reboot them one by one.

You might run into the issue where the CUCM machines do not recognize your DVD media upgrade, you can either do SFTP or CLI to get the file over to the CUCM boxes.

Here is a good resource for the CLI upgrade method.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/cisco-uc-application-upgrade---the-cli-method.html

Thanks for the input. I think that is the path I will take as well.

I see there are many 5.1.3 versions, a, b, c, d, e, f. I am assuming I am ok with the plain 5.1.3 since I will be going to 6.1.3 shortly afterwards?

Yes, you will be fine with any version since you are going to 6.1.3 anyways. Make sure you have a good backup before proceeding.

HTH,

Please rate if it does.

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from 5.1.3 to 6.1.4 the compatibility matrix says it is possible. But I couldnt upgrade it.

when I try to upgrade it I see the below error message.

"The directory was located and searched but no valid  options or upgrades were available. Note, a machine cannot be  downgraded so option and upgrade files for previous releases were  ignored"

What may be the issue?? Any idea??

Thanks

Karthik

are you getting error on pub or sub??

are u using sftp or ftp?

Hi I am getting error in Publisher and I am using SFTP.

do u have install logs??

Vipul

I have attached the install logs also. No luck .

I recently ran into similar error, after re-trying it couple of times from CLI it finally recognized the upgrade ISO.

Chris

I have done this upgrade. Sometimes it doesn't like the ISO from the GUI, even if it passes the hash. Try a different ISO, or as chris said, do it through the CLI, be patient with the CLI though, it just sits there like its doing nothing for a while.

Brandon Cheah

Sr. Cisco Voice Engineer

Oakwood Temporary Housing

Internal Ext: 700.2756

PH: 1.310.444.2756

bcheah@oakwood.com

Hi Chris,

Can you please share me any guide to upgrade it from CLI.?? If not can you please tell me the procedure??

Thanks

Karthik

Sure, SSH to the server and issue:

"utils system upgrade initiate", the follow the prompts with location of media, login credentials if using SFTP, etc

Chris

The link in my original post at the beginning will tell you step by step on how to upgrade.

Hi,

I am using 5.1.3 and I cant able to execute the command?? Is it available from version 6??

I got utils system restart

utils system shutdown

utils system switchversion

Thanks

Karthik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: