cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a Guest User acct in WCS

johncomeau
Level 1
Level 1

When I create a unlimitied guest acct with in WCS I receive this error (see attached file). Has anybody ran into this issue?

thanks.

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, now I see an error for MIB access failure : GuestUser!x.x.x.x!lassie : lifeTime : No access

This points to an SNMP problem.

Can you make sure you are using a RW community string in WCS for the WLC and NOT an RO community string?

Is there a FW between the WCS and the WLC?

Another thing to do, to make sure SNMP works, after you checked that you use the RW community string is to do an snmpwalk on the WLC from the WCS server with a freeware such as : net-snmp : http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

the command would be:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c RWCOMMUNITYNAME x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the ip of the WLC and RW... the name of the community string

Also, if the issue persist, could you post here all the logs.zip file and not only the wcs-0-0? That will be helpful.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

There are quite a few defects.

More information is needed to isolate the problem:

-Version of WCS

-Version of WLC

-Try to Refresh configuration from controller on the WCS, and see if this persists

-Post the log from wcs: wcs-log-0-0 that contains this error message, with trace level enabled

Thanks for the quick response.

Version of WCS is 5.1.64.0

Version of WLC is 5.1.163.0

I did refresh the config and problem still occurs.

How do i get the log that you are referring to?

Thanks,

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

The logs are in the WCS\Webnms\logs folder.

I need you to reproduce the problem with TRACE level of logs.

Set this from the GUI : Administration -> Logging.

Once the log level is to trace, go ahead and reproduce the issue, then gather the logs for me, and post them here.

BTW, why are you on 5.1? this version is full of defects.

Here is the log file you requested. you'll find inside the log of the user acct of johnc_test where i get the error that I posted earlier.

This was already in place when I got here and never had a problem. Just recently I upgraded the firmware on the controllers when I discovered this issue within WCS. But everything else is running fine. Do you have a link or document of all the defects of ver 5.1?

It seems that the default settings for the lobby account were not set. Make sure you create a proper lobby admin account in WCS (Administration -> AAA-> Users) with lobby privilege. Configure the settings as far as profile and so on in WCS.

Then logout and login with the new user lobby to create a guest user.

More info on this steps here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.1/configuration/guide/wcsmanag.html#wpmkr1077052

In case this was already done properly, do you guest users and you can not anymore of them? In that case it may be a database increase that is needed on the WLC.

Those are the 2 things I suspect in your case with the information i have at this point.

For the lists of defects on WLC and WCS, the release notes, open caveats section is the place to go:

WCS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/prod_release_notes_list.html

WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_release_notes_list.html

thanks for the update. Your are correct I'm not logging into the WCS with a lobby account. I thought the whole idea of this lobby admin acct was to take the burden of creating user accts from IT personel and to pass this to some administrative person.

This is not set up because it's me and another IT guy that creates the guest accts. We never had to do that before and the only thing that changed was the firmware upgrade on the WLC recently. I will go ahead tomorrow morning and set up an lobby account and test this theory.

I will let you know tomorrow on my results.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, I did create the user acct as lobby ambassador but we use tacacs+ for login credentials and I don't have access to the radius server today. so that is a mute point at the moment because the new acct I can't logon with.

I do want to mention, the user that I'm logging onto the WCS, is part of the superusers group. I believe that group has the permissions to create guest accounts.

You mention something about increasing the WLC database? Should I start looking down the path?

WCS is not designed so you create guest users from a superuser. This will not work properly. At this point, the WLC database is not a problem, don't go towards that path.

Once you create your users with the lobby account, it should work as expected.

Thanks for the update. I will let you know tomorrow once I get my new lobby acct setup in TACACS+

I went ahead in my ACS server and created a lobby account with the appropriate attributes in ACS for Lobby Ambassador and still received the same JDBC error.

Any other ideas Lucien?

Need to look at this further.

Make sure you set logging level to trace ( Administration ->AAA)

Then login as a lobby user, recreate the issue, note the approx timestamp, login back in WCS with your superuser and download the logs. Then post the full logs.zip file here.

Make sure the time on your controller is not more than 5 minutes offset with the WCS server.

Lucien,

I went ahead set logging to trace and created the user as you requested. attached is the wcs-0-0 log file. i would post the full logs but there's a bunch of them. let me know if you really need them.

I'll wait to hear from you.

I looked in the defects and analysed the error message from the logs you posted. There is no clear defect on 5.1.64.0.

To troubleshoot this further i will need the full logs, but they may not be helpful. At this point it will even not be worth to create a new bug on 5.1 as this version does not have further releases.

To resolve this, I suggest you to simply upgrade WCS to 5.2.148.0, it will be compatible with your controllers code as well.

The upgrade process will take you about 10 minutes, just make a backup of the WCS db first in case and then stop the services and run the installers.

You can download wcs from:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=279705270

Lucien,

Thanks for your response. Would I use the following link below for backing up and upgrading the WCS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.2/configuration/guide/5_2main.html#wp1074975

If you have any other suggestions on this process please let me know.

Also, do I need to worry about any licences issues going to 5.2.148.0 during the upgrade?

thanks,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: