Views
Helpful
Replies

STP loop after adding new VLAN to the physical endpoint of an etherchannel

rogelioalvez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys:

Two core switches are linked by a port channel (built with two physical links).

Several access switches are in turn dual-linked to these core switches. STP is configured and operating on all vlans.

I added a vlan ("switchport trunk allowed vlan add xx") to one of the physical endpoints of the portchannel instead of doing this on the portchannel interface itself.

As soon as I executed the command, a storm of duplicated mac addresses started to be logged and the CPU of both core switches skyrocketed close to 100%. Many MAC addresses seemed to be coming into each core switch from different links at the same time, so a STP loop was generated as the result of my action.

I was explained that I should have added the new vlan to the portchannel, because this command would have been automatically propagated to the physical links that are part of the channel.

My question is: ¿is there a relationship between the command I entered and the (supposedly STP) loop I observed on these switches?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rogelio

4 Replies 4

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry to hear about your experience - I'm sure that you won't make this mistake again! As you mentioned, you should always make these kinds of changes on the port channel interface. I hope that Cisco will change the IOS in the future to prevent others from making this mistake (there has to be a way of locking the physical interfaces when channeled).

I don't have specific evidence for you to look at to correlate the events, but I assure you that created a misconfiguration of your trunks leading to the "death" of the switches.

One word of advice (in case you didn't do this). Whenever working with port channels, I never save the config until I know it worked and I can test everything afterward. That way if an emergency comes up, you can just reboot the switch and your back in business in 10 minutes.

HTH,

Jim

Hi Jim:

In fact, the CPU was so bussy that I spent a lot of time trying to telnet this switch back in order to undo this command :o)

Whenever I feel a command could generate a potential problem, I previously enter a "reload in 5" in order to be sure that if something wrong happens, worst case I will get access again after the reboot.

In this case, I was not aware how harmful the command could be. I will generate the problem in a lab environment and let you know.

regards, Rogelio

a lot of datacentre breaks because people add vlan to physical interface that is member of port channel.

I think this is due to the fact that if you add vlan to a physical interface that is a member of port channel, you break the etherchannel as you cause difference in vlan membership.

This was even worse. The channel did not break, because otherwise I wouldn't have had such a loop. No ERRDISABLE message was logged as I would have expected from such a mismatch in the endpoints of the channels or its members.

regards, Rogelio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card