Wireless adapters

Unanswered Question
Lucien Avramov Tue, 08/11/2009 - 20:47
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions, in order to find the appropriate one for your needs:

What use are you intend to have?

What security do you need on your network? For example, WPA2? LEAP?

What frequencies will you use with your AP?

What linksys card exactly are you comparing it with?

You say 1000 feet, is that outdoor, indoor? Thick walls, open space? Manufacture environment with a lot of interference?

There is no really black or white answer, it depends on the features you do want from the cards and the environment you will use them.

Once you have answers to those questions you can compare the technical specs of the cards and see if they respond to your needs.

I do suggest to have at least one aironet card so you can do the wireless survey in WCS and have a very accurate representation of your coverage on the WCS map.

Lucien Avramov Wed, 08/12/2009 - 08:23
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

WPA is supported by both cards

Coverage should be ok with both cards, not a big difference.

I suggest you, if you decide to go with the linksys cards, to at least get 1 cisco card for the site survey on WCS, it may be something that will come very useful later on, when you start using network monitoring and management for your wireless cloud.

Robert.N.Barrett_2 Fri, 08/14/2009 - 11:54
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

You may want to think about support problems. Given your usage model, support for the cards if not likely to be a big problem, however, calling Linksys for support will be a pain. If you have all your Cisco gear on a support contract, then if you have a problem specific to the Cisco WLAN cards, it will be easy to get support.

If you're going to make a major purchase, I would strongly recommend that you investigate 802.11n-capable cards. You may not have 802.11n access points, but you might in the future. If you think you're going to have to keep supporting the wireless cards for a few years, I'd recommend going with an 802.11n card (Linksys is good).

George Stefanick Sun, 08/16/2009 - 07:29
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

I would make sure roaming is what you want. I have tested some of the linksys cards myself and they were not ideal for roaming. These cards are designed for soho enviroments not enterprise.

dennischolmes Tue, 08/18/2009 - 03:05
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Linksys cards by their nature were designed for consumer(home) use and are parent sticky. They were designed to attach to your linksys router or AP and not your neighbors. They roam horribly and often will only leave the last AP associated with only after it is no longer seen. In a manufacturing facility this will kill you. Also, in a manufacturing facility multipath is almost always an issue. MiMO based APs are the best to use here along with .11n client adapters.

Robert.N.Barrett_2 Wed, 08/19/2009 - 05:37
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

For desktops, please get a card that has some way of mounting the antenna somewhere besides the back of the PC. Too often we get complaints of poor wireless speeds on desktops, only to discover that the desktop is tucked into a corner under a metal desk where it's a bit hard to get good wireless coverage.

If you have the opportunity to pilot, then buy just a few cards and pilot them before you make a large investment in a particular card.

Actions

This Discussion