What to do next

Unanswered Question
Aug 12th, 2009

Hi, i have just passed my CCNA, i'm not sure where to go now, i am thinking about going down the security path but i'm unsure if i should take the CCNA security exam 1st or study for the ccnp then go on to security from there, my thinking is by doing the ccnp 1st my knowledge will much more vast on the understanding of networks

Any help on where to go next i would like to hear from you

many thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Istvan_Rabai Wed, 08/12/2009 - 03:25

Hi Darren,

It depends on your goals of course: what is your favorite area of interest.

CCNP ISCW is concerned with device security, IPSec VPNs, MPLS VPNs, Firewall and IPS basics, AAA basics.

I don't know the depth of knowledge CCNA security contains, but seems to me that CCNP ISCW is more indepth.

If you decide to take the CCNP track, I also suggest you buying the Lab workbooks to all four CCNP topics and do the labs several times, and play around by inventing your own scenarios.

That will give you a solid understanding of what is going on inside the devices.

Cheers:

Istvan

andrew.fedyszak... Wed, 08/12/2009 - 04:21

Hi,

I think your plan is sound one if you have time and it corelates to your current or future job roles.

I went to study and pass CCSP exams stright from CCNA and while it is possible (and was sensible in context of my job), I would personally recommend doing CCNP track first, especially if you are planning on tackling CCIE Security in the future. I am planning on doing CCNP next, which is back to front in my view.

But critical issue is your job and hands on experience. If you work (or be soon working) in Cisco Security role, then tackling CCNA security (which is amodification of old SND exam) and then SNAF would be of greater immediate benefit to you and your employer then doing CCNP track first.

Good luck with your studies...

regards,

Andrew

Wilson Samuel Wed, 08/12/2009 - 05:12

hi,

withouout a doubt, CCNP should be the next track, unless your job is totally focused on the Security aspect, even then having CCNP first would really build your foundation for years to come.

CCNP gives an insight of things that other profiles (CCVP or CCSP) would require as a by default standard.

Hope this helps, please rate if it does help

Regards

billybong Wed, 08/12/2009 - 05:46

I want to thank everyone for there advise, i'm going to study the 4 exams for the CCNP

Actions

This Discussion