Views
Helpful
Replies

Designing Network Using Stacked 3750 vs Un-Stack

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have a dilemma I need a little help. I have 2 3750 that I need to deploy as network Core/Distribution with 2 ASA's. I wanted to find out it will be more advantageous to stack the switch or do it the old fashioned way with HSRP with port channel connecting the 2 switches together.

I'm not sure if ASA failover will work on a Stack configuration.

Another thing is that there will be a redundant metro connection that will be plugged on to the 3750. Ideally 1 on each switch.

Thank you in advanced I appreciate it.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would stack them. The ASA's will not have a problem, all they care about is that they are on the same VLAN. The redundant Metro will work just fine too.

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Stack the 3750 and then just treat each 3750 as an independent unit in terms of connections to external devices like the ASAs and the metro connections. You can pretty much see the stackwise cable in the back as a high-throughput port-channel. If one 3750 fails, the remaining one will still have a connection to the Internet and the ASA.

The only detail is that since the stack is a single unit from a management perspective, you may need to tune your routing so that one metro link is prefered and if that one goes down then the backup will come online. The ASAs you can deal with HSRP or VRRP

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd stack them. This is one of the functions that sets aside the 3750 with the 3560.

Other than that, instead of managing two appliance, you have just to manage 1.

If both appliances are located in close proximity of each other, then stack them.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card