Views
Helpful
Replies

Not sure if Memory Usage on ASA5520 is acceptable

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We have a ASA5520 running asa804-28-k8 with 512mb of RAM. It uses about 300mb of memory constantly and I am wondering if thats OK or not.

Also I read in this forum that disabling "Threat-Detection" will win back memory and does nothing to take away form the over all saftey of the FW. This sounds odd, but if I am running high, it would be one service I might consider disabling.

Thanks a million,

Pete

3 Replies 3

Hi Pete,

Determining an acceptable level of memory utilization is difficult because it depends greatly on your environment (things like code version, enabled features, traffic levels, etc.)

That being said, disabling threat detection is very likely to decrease your memory utilization (especially in some versions of 8.0, which has a few memory leak bugs).

Here is the configuration guide for threat detection so you can decide if you need it or not:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/protect.html#wp1042020

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for answering my post. We only use Threat-Detection for logging right now.

I guess we could always buy some more RAM too.

Just in case anyone is interested. Disabling Threat-Detection gave me 50mb back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card