Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS user tracking report

alex goshtaei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I try to run user tracking report in LMS 3.0. I have specified to use DNS to resolve the hostname in Aquisition setup, but everytime I am running user tracking report (end host), it only shows MAC address of the station and it doesn't show the hostname.

any suggestion would be very appreciated.

thanks

Alex

8 Replies 8

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Go to: Campus User Tracking -> Administration ->Acquisition, Acquisition settings and make sure you check : use DNS to resolve hostnames

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it only shows the MAC address, the the problem is not with DNS. The problem is with ARP cache entries. You need to make sure the routers that should hold the ARP entries for these MAC addresses are properly Data Collected by Campus Manager. They should show up on the Campus Topology Map with green icons. Only then will UT be able to populate the IP address field for those MACs. Once that is happening, then UT will use the system resolver in conjunction with direct DNS queries to resolve that IP to hostname.

thanks for your reply, can you please show me how to accomplish your suggestion. "hold ARP entries for MAC addresses are properly Data Collected by CM".

The routers automatically do this. What you need to verify is that those routers are showing up with green router icons on the Topology Map. That is, make sure the routers that service your user VLANs are in DCR, and managed by Campus Manager. This is almost certainly not the case now.

Once you've verified the routers are properly managed, you may want to enable ping sweeps to run prior to UT acquisition. This will help ensure ARP tables are properly populated. To do this, go to Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking > Acquisition > Ping Sweep.

it doesn't show anything in "available sources" to perform ping sweep.

thanks agains

The sources come from Campus Data Collection, and from Data Collected routers. What type of routers are you using? That is, what devices are handling the layer 3 routing for your user VLANs/subnets?

I am using 6009 switch as intervlan routing.

And do you see this switch on the Campus Manager Topology Map? If so, post a screenshot showing its icon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: