Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM on a 6509 switch is inaccessible,

jackymasibo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i had installed 2 NAM modules on a Cisco 6509 switches in A VSS environment.Initially both NAMs on the two VSS switches were working properly but after some time one NAM become inaccessible in that i couldnt ping it from the default gateway neither could i open its GUI.I tried to troubleshoot by resetting this NAM module to its factory settings and configuring its network parameters again but still it couldnt work.so am wondering what could be the problem since everything seems ok. Please anyone with an idea on what am supposed to do?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are you saying you can ping the active NAM, but not the standby? I did notice the NAM is switch 1 has the proper management port config, but this is not present for the NAM in switch 2. You would need to add:

analysis switch 2 module 3 management-port access-vlan 411

It appears you had this command in the switch at one point, but it must have been removed.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may be affected by CSCee10005. If the switch configuration changed such that you are now using cross-module etherchannels, you may need to configure "monitor session servicemodule network-analysis-module", or configure the NAM's default gateway to be external to the switch.

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Else, if you are not using the code referenced in the defect mentioned earlier, post a show tech of the nam and a show tech of the switch and we can troubleshoot further.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your support,anyway I have uploaded the show tech support command for both NAM and the switch in the 4shared folder in the links below for your further assistance:

http://www.4shared.com/file/124996426/a6dc9433/NAM_Config.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/124999821/69c1e8a2/Switch_config.html

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

1. For the ping issue, you are not affected by CSCee10005, as you run SXI code.

Is there an ASA or FW in between the nam and the end pc, on this vlan 411?

If there is an asa, make sure to have for that vlan :

sysopt noproxyarp VLAN411

Also make the following test: can you ping from the nam the default gateway?

2. for http: Your GUI is disabled. Session to the nam and type: ip http server enable

There is no ASA or FW in between because this setup is still in the staging stage we havent deployed it yet.so my pinging test is between the switch(which is the default gateway) and the NAM module.I did those pinging tests from the NAM module to the switch and from the switch to the NAM module but the result was still unreachable.

Also i cant understand why the other NAM is working well since the configs are the same though one is in active mode while the other is in standby mode while the other NAM (which is in standby mode)is not working properly

concerning GUI initially i had enabled it but since nothing was working i had to reset and clear all the configs the reconfigure again

Are you saying you can ping the active NAM, but not the standby? I did notice the NAM is switch 1 has the proper management port config, but this is not present for the NAM in switch 2. You would need to add:

analysis switch 2 module 3 management-port access-vlan 411

It appears you had this command in the switch at one point, but it must have been removed.

Correct, this is a very valid point. that should resolve your issue. else check my next post for further troubleshooting.

Thanks a lot guys the NAM is now working after adding this " analysis switch 2 module 3 management-port access-vlan 411" command.It actually needed an expert eye to notice this!!!

Thanks again and I really appreciate your support.

Can you try the following on the standby nam, not working, on the switch CLI:

1. no monitor session servicemodule network-analysis-module

2. monitor session servicemodule network-analysis-module

Does that fix the issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: