cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange outdiscard errors

poirot1967
Level 1
Level 1

I have started to get these strange outdiscard errors as of late. It is like 60% of the ports on my switch has them, but no other kinda of errors. I would have chalked it up top heavy traffic, but the traffic level is steady. I have attached an example. There are 2 ports that are heavy talkers, but I don't think it would have cascaded to other ports on the switch. Any suggestions on how to track this down? There haven't been any changes to any of the attached machines, that I know of that would have cause errors like this, and most are running at full duplex, with a couple 10's for good measure.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mack,

this is not necessary a real issue.

a L2 switch doesn't forward frames if it thinks the destination MAC address has been learned on the same port where the frame has been received (to keep local traffic local)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

acjarvis
Level 1
Level 1

Can you post output of "show int status"

There URL below may help you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml#outlost

Thanks for the link. Here is the requested info....names removed to protect the innocent....

Poirot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: