cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dcrclient.log file is large, is it needed?

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting pop-up messages from my LMS 3.0 stating /var is near full. Upon doing some digging, I found the dcrclient.log file in the /var/adm/CSCOpx/log directory. It's over 10 Gig and I'm not sure what it is for.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Could it be a debug that I forgot to turn off? Why is it so large? Can I just clean it up? etc...

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually, nevermind. I suspected perhaps the files were corrupt, but it doesn't matter. Either wa, the solution will be to replace the originals with ones with debugging disabled. If you replace the three original files under /opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr with these versions, then restart dmgtd, debugging for DCR, DCR's client APIs, and CSTM will be disabled.

NOTE: make sure the resulting three files have the following permissions after replacing the originals:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 casuser casusers

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Per the description on CS Log:

Enables/Disables debug for the component that provides a common repository of devices, device attributes, and the credentials required to manage devices.

Make sure to go to : Common Services -> Server -> Admin -> CS Log Configurations.

Choose component : Device and Credentials Repository and click on disable for debug mode.

You can stop the daemons (./etc/init.d/dmgtd stop) and then clean the file (do not delete it) and restart the daemons (./etc/init.d/dmgtd start)

No, dcrclient.log is part of the DCR process, and logs details about client connections to DCR. This is typically interprocess connections, but it can also be dcrcli interactions. It should not be deleted.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Most likely this is due to debugging that was left on. Go to Common Services > Server > Admin > CS Log Configurations, and make sure debugging is disabled for Device and Credential Repository. Then run:

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/logrot_trunc /var/adm/CSCOpx/log/dcrclient.log

That should reduce the size to zero bytes. If the file immediately jumps back to 10 GB, then shutdown dmgtd, run the same logrot_trunc command, then restart dmgtd.

I performed the above and it did clear out the file. I turned off debugging also. I'm actually not sure if it was on or not, b/c I reset debugging on the entire system.

The file is already over 5 Meg. It's growing fast too. I double checked and debugging is disabled. Could this be due to the # of devices we're managing. The server is question is a the Slave system. The Master is also an LMS 3.0 system and it's managing over 4000 devices.

I'll keep my eye on the file size. Maybe it will steady out.

Thanks for the quick response,

It could be indicative of another problem. Compress the log, and post it.

Here is the compressed dcrclient.log file.

Thanks,

Debugging is still enabled. Post the /opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr/log4j-dcrclient.properties , /opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr/log4j-dcr.properties, and /opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr/log4j-dcrclient1.properties files.

You can see that debugging is enabled as it's mentioned in the log file:

[Thread-4] DEBUG CTM.client

This is populating quickly the log file.

Posting the properties file requested will help.

Here are the requested files.

As suspected, debugging was still enabled. Replace these files with the ones in my previous post, verify permissions, restart dmgtd, and the dcr*.log files should no longer grow.

Actually, nevermind. I suspected perhaps the files were corrupt, but it doesn't matter. Either wa, the solution will be to replace the originals with ones with debugging disabled. If you replace the three original files under /opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr with these versions, then restart dmgtd, debugging for DCR, DCR's client APIs, and CSTM will be disabled.

NOTE: make sure the resulting three files have the following permissions after replacing the originals:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 casuser casusers

Our unix admin is going to replace the files soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

The permissions are critical. I have a feeling that's why you couldn't disable debugging in the GUI. Your original files were in tact.

It worked, our unix admin overwrote the old files, changed the permissions. I had to stop the DM, run the command to clean up the dcrclient.log file and then re-start the DM.

The file size of dcrclient.log file is 3570 and has been for last hour or so.

Thanks...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: