Views
Helpful
Replies

5510 Active\Standy Config

David Shearing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you configure the second ASA should it have a different hostname, or just different IP addresses. I currently have the failover working but if it does failover the secondary will keep the primary hostname when reverting back.

Also if i set an interface to not be monitored for failover do i need to set a secondary IP address for the failover device?

Thanks for the help.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"When you configure the second ASA should it have a different hostname, or just different IP addresses. I currently have the failover working but if it does failover the secondary will keep the primary hostname when reverting back."

You don't have to but it can get very confusing if you want to connect to the standby firewall for any reason. Personally i always use a different hostname.

"Also if i set an interface to not be monitored for failover do i need to set a secondary IP address for the failover device?"

Not to my knowledge no although again i tend to assign IP's to all interfaces for both the active and failover firewalls.

Jon

ttran
Level 1
Level 1

Depending what you need like Jon described. As for me my active/standby config is identical between the primary and secondary. Check out this link and hope clear your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/failover.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card