cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM Map Problems

timluttman
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble connecting to a few ATM elements on the network. When I do a "show atm map" I noticed that the entry for the devices that I cannot connect to do not have a VPI/VCI entry. (Please see attached file). I do not know why this is happening since they should be created automatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also attached the configuration for the ATM interface facing those devices.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this a network of routers ?

Do you necessarily have to use SVC ?

Using PVCs would simplify configuration, eliminate all issues with call setup and tear-down, eliminate all and any issue with mapping, eliminate broadcast traffic.

In summary all very good things.

Thanks for the quick response. The network is an ATM ring of Marconi switches connected to a 7204. I don't need to use SVC's. I am mostly curious as to why after working with no problem in this configuration for years suddenly stops. And it is only two switches that I cannot connect to. Looking at the arp cache on the two switches I see that the NSAP entry for the router is correct.

Probably you meant for "many years" :)

Some data structure may have got corrupted, if you could pinpoint to a single device (ARP server? not sure), rebooting it could fix everything.

Again, if you have a chance to switch to PVCs, be reassured this network will enjoy absolute stability for the rest of its life.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card