cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Groups VLAN

jcosgrove
Level 1
Level 1

I have a controller that has 4 SSID's (3 corporate and 1 guest ssid)configured with 10 AP's. I want only 1 of the AP's to advertise all 4. This is my conference room and we will only allow guest access in the conference room. The other AP's need to be only the 3 corp ssid's.

I configured AP Groups for this. I enabled the AP Group vlan function and set up 1 group that only had my corp ssids-interfaces and I set up 1 group that had the corp-ssids and the guest ssid. I applied the corp only to the corp only AP's and the corp+guest to the conference room AP and rebooted all of the AP's.

All the AP's still seem to offer the guest ssid and this does not seem to limit the advertised ssid's.

Am I missing something or is there another way to control the ssid's per AP?

Thanks for any advice.

5 Replies 5

kristoferheyl
Level 1
Level 1

This depends on what version you're running. In 4.2 AP groups only specifies if a specific SSID should be mapped to another interface than default. This means that the SSID not specified in the AP group is distributed on the AP and mapped to default interface. To control which SSID's distributed on the AP's, take a look at the WLAN override feature.

In 5.X (not sure on what exact version) WLAN Override and AP groups is combined, and only SSID's specified in AP groups is distributed on the AP in question.

What WLC type and version are you running?

Regards,

Kristofer

I have 5.1.64.0 on the WCS and 5.1.151.0 on the controllers. The controllers are WiSM so I think that is based on the 4400 controllers.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No need to use AP groups. AP groups are for logical segmentation of the wired traffic. To learn more about ap group check out my video http://www.my80211.com/cisco-labs/2009/3/22/cisco-ap-group-nugget.html

What you are interested in is WLAN OVERIDE. Dive into the controller and then AP level (the ap in question). Bottom of the screen you will see WLAN OVERIDE. Click on the SSIDs you want to service from that AP.

Cheers...

If you found this post helpful please rate it

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

gstefanick,

You're right, until version 5.2 ;)

In versions 5.2 and greater, the WLAN Override feature is combined with AP Groups and therefore is the WLAN override feature removed. (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn52.html)

I currently have mine set up to use AP Groups. Are you saying that the AP groups function changes in 5.2 to include the limiting of SSID's as well and since I am in 5.1 I should be using WLAN override to get this function. When I upgrade to 5.2 the AP groups feature changes to include the limiting of SSID's on the AP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card