cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS 4000 Email responses that need addressing

JanJanowski
Level 1
Level 1

I have been bounced around between Cisco and Linksys for months….

I have two simple questions… One I know the answer on… the second, I haven’t a clue…

I have corresponded with 12-15 people at Linksys, and Cisco…

Their last answer is I should contact you….  So… Here goes…. The 16th person I’m requesting this information from….. (I can’t believe that Linksys/Cisco can’t answer these simple questions!)

Seeing that I've been checking for new firmware and IPS downloads from the Cisco site for months now, and not seeing any new downloads......

And Seeing that I'm getting nagging emails that my IPS Signature is too old, Please Update it!!!!

And Seeing that I'm still getting emails that I don't understand from the RVS 4000: -IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down

and I can't seem to understand How or Why it is happening, and have read manual cover to cover, and all the FAQ's, and can't upgrade it because there is no current software......

I sent the following email to cs-support-us@cisco.com :

Hello. Have an RVS4000 Router, being used as a Gateway...

I have emails enabled, so that I'll be informed whenever there is greater than a set level of threats.... However...
If I check the logs, there are no threats... Yet....

I keep getting the following emails:
Your Signature Version is beyond 143 days. Please Update it!

I've also been getting the following emails:
-IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down

I'm using V1.40 IPS signature, and V1.2.11 firmware....

Yet I keep getting these emails...

I can't update the IPS Signature Version if you don't provide it!!! And you aren't!

Secondly, WHAT THE HECK DOES: "-IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down" MEAN????

May I suggest that the next version of firmware have options to disable the IPS "Nags" if you are not planning on writing any more code?

And, What the Heck does: "-IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down" mean?

Sincerely

Jan Janowski

42 Replies 42

JanJanowski
Level 1
Level 1

And in case you don't believe that I haven't tried for a long while to get an answer to this.....

Please visit this link:  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22733060-RVS-4000-Support-email-to-Cisco

This is only the last half of the communications I've had with Cicso/Linksys on this..

The last information I received was to log in here, and another user would respond to my questions with suggestions....

So, here I am.... With the same two questions I've had for months, after being ignored multiple times by both Linksys and Cisco... Yeah, my attitude stinks right now.... do you fault me for that? 

Hello,

I can address the one question.

We  do have new signature file for RVS4000, it’s under testing , we should be able  to post as soon as it is approved.

The other issue I am not aware of and have not seen, but you can call the Small Business Support COmmunity on 1-866-606-1866 and open a case.

Steve D

SE

Field Channel Sales team

Thank you, Steve.... Obviously, I knew it would take something like this to fix the "Please Update IPS" emails...

Maybe on next firmware you can make this message an option... ??

Other than these two emails, system is working fine.

More information:

RVS4000 Being used as Gateway, not Router. with Wan being 10.x.x.x and Lan being 192.x.x.x Router is BEFSX41

No VPN

Blocking all but skype

Mix of Gigabit and 100Mb connections

No IP, Mac, or time blocks.

Emails set to send email after 3 threats.  Both Incoming and Outgoing logs are empty.  I've checked logs prior to and after

this email,  and always found them  empty.

at another forum, I posted asking what -IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down  ---means

and someone found reference to this being a 'VPN related command' for Linux kernel 2.4

Again, I don't know Linux, nor am I using VPN in either RVS4000 or BEFSX41 (both  are locked off).

Email just received from RVS4000:

Aug 14 23:02:31 - IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down.

At that time, no computers were on. We were in bed...

I've received these emails with, and without computers being on.

Jan,

While we are waiting for a new IPS sign. file, can you try reinstalling the existing signature file? It will be the same version you already have.   This is a test to see if the message will stop (it may).

Steve

Will reloading V1.40 IPS fix this email?

Aug 17 21:03:16 - IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down.

or are you thinking it  will reset the timer on the:

Your Signature Version is beyond 186 days. Please Update it!  Email?

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback.  I also checked with the Product Engineering and test team and they told me that message you see is a message from the underlying Kernel that the VPN session was restarted.    This could be due to any interruption of service on the WAN. 

Steve

Thanks very much....  So this service starts even when VPN is not used?

Yes, it does.

Steve

I've let a few days go by since the last answer..... To see if anyone would post answers to my origional questions.... and now it begs to be asked again...

My first post contained questions still un-answered....

Why is there not a software switch to turn off nag emails about IPS signature date?

Why is cryptic email messages being sent at all, seeing that I've told the system NOT to email me until there is 3 or more simultaneous threats?

Seeing that both incoming and outgoing logs are EMPTY, Why am I getting emails at all?

Why is it that it took MONTHS and MONTHS of Emailing Linksys, Cisco, and now Cisco Small Business the above question, and instead of answering the questions, everybody seems content with just suggesting I contact someone else?

Yes, I could reload existing IPS file, and that may shut up the emails....But:  WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS?

I'm  still patiently awaiting an updated IPS file..... WHEN will it be released?

And Finally, When will new Firmware be released for the RVS4000 that will contain software swtiches to turn off "Nag" emails?

It's been a month since I've been told that a new IPS file for the RVS4000 was "immanent"

Is it "Immanent"  YET?????

Yes common Cisco/Linksys this is starting to be a joke, when will the IPS update file be released?

I have been patiently watching this thread the website IPS file section for an update for some time and it's now beyond frustrating :(

This product is supposed to be for small business and my client is starting to question why I recommended this product.

If you can't provide a regular signature file then at least offer a service for this or don't bother selling the product with a IPS feature/function.

Can you advise if this file is going to be released on a regular basis so I can inform my client and put his mind to rest?

Thanks.

hi Kpawson,

If you customers are really concerned or serious  about security,   one service that was introduced to allow you as a VAR to make some more money off the RVS4000 was the resale of the protectlink functionality.  This is something that you can manage for your customers. Check out the URL below and the  functionality of using protectlink within the RVS4000.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5739/ps5723/ps9952/ps9953/data_sheet_c78-502732.html

Hope you find this interesting.

regards Dave

Actually, it sounds like you are passing the buck to someone else...

Please note, it took MONTHS to get a simple answer from anyone, and the answer I received wasn't an answer at all, but a side-step of the entire issue.

One of the side-steps was a promise of a new IPS file...  Where is it?

Second answer didn't tell me how to get the emails to stop, or idicate how I could mask them... just explained that a service that I don't even USE, (VPN)

was causing it!

Come on!   How about some support!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: