ASK THE EXPERT - SMALL BUSINESS VOIP TO PSTN GATEWAY

Unanswered Question
Aug 14th, 2009

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to connect your on-premise Asterisk IP PBX to PSTN lines with the SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway. with Cisco experts Patrick Born. Patrick is a Technical Marketing Engineer for the Small Business Systems Business Unit (SBSBU). His responsibilities include SPA9xx IP Phones, WIP 3xx IP Phones, and SPAxxx ATAs including the SPA2102, SPA3102, PAP2T devices. Previously, he worked extensively with the SPA9000 Voice System, previously known as the Linksys Voice System (LVS). Remember to use the rating system to let Patrick know if you have received an adequate response.

Patrick might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 28, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
AbbasDadou Tue, 08/18/2009 - 02:29

Hi Patrick,

I have a question regarding PSTN TO VOIP, what is the best scenario for this solution for Small Business? that support prepaid and postpaid system.

I read about TCL scripts. But is there another scenario?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Best Regards,

Abbas

Patrick Born Tue, 08/18/2009 - 12:38

Hi Abbas,

The SPA8800 is a PSTN to VoIP gateway so it enables you to deploy prepaid/postpaid, whatever makes best sense for your customer base and geography.

An Asterisk, trixbox, or similar, call control scenario will allow you to fully utilize the SPA8800's potential.

Let me know if you have a specific question that I can help with.

Regards,

Patrick

--------

naveenneeraj2001 Tue, 08/18/2009 - 07:36

Hi Patrick,

We have Linksys Device WAP4400N SL/No: M09006901056. I have recently upgraded Firmware version 1.2.8-ESTI to 1.2.14-ESTI. After upgraded firmware we have phasing some issues with wireless access point.

1. Frequent disconnections

2. Huge latency for ping results to the Access Point ETH

3. Packet drops for ping results

4. Access Point unresponsive after 4 hours in operation, needs a power restart.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Best Regards,

Naveen

devang_etcom Tue, 08/18/2009 - 17:33

Hi Patrick,

I am totally new to Voice domain. I am trying to understand how can I integrate Asterisk open source PBX with SPA8800? any good documentation about it?

Regards,

Devang Patel

Patrick Born Wed, 08/19/2009 - 05:05

Hi Devang,

Thanks for the question. I recently wrote an application note that describes both why and how one would deploy a SPA8800 with an Asterisk PBX.

The application note is located on the Cisco small business community at:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7654

Here's the device's data sheet which may also be of use to you:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7420

Regards,

Patrick

-------

dean.fitzpatrick Thu, 08/20/2009 - 07:39

Can the SPA8800's FXO ports be trunked together in order to allow sharing and over-subscription? Stated differently, can one FXO port be shared among multiple phones?

Patrick Born Thu, 08/20/2009 - 08:13

Hi Dean,

Yes you can trunk the ports together in an Asterisk environment. I wrote an application note on deploying the SPA8800 with Asterisk which shows an example of this.

The application note is available on the Cisco small business ATA community at:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7654

Regards,

Patrick

-------

pauloroque Fri, 08/21/2009 - 10:04

High Patrick,

Recently I needed a low cost VoIP enabled router with at least 4 FXOs for very small remote offices. These routers would be connected back to main office via internet (with dynamic IPs address) and remotely managed.

I found Cisco 800 series, but none of them have more than two FXOs. Then I was told about SPA8xxx gateways. This was exactly what I was looking for. But also I needed VPN support, but SPA8xxx don't support VPN.

Will they support IPSec in the future?

Paulo Roque

Patrick Born Fri, 08/21/2009 - 11:43

Hi Paulo,

The SPA8800 is only a gateway so it does not provide call-control functionality. You'll still need something like Asterisk, trixbox, SPA9000, or similar to provide call-control. If you used Asterisk or trixbox, you could use the server to terminate IPsec tunnels.

I can't comment about product future features due to the Sarbanes-Oxley act. :-)

It will be hard to find all that you need in one low-cost product. You may want to consider a small bundle of devices, for example, Asterisk, trixbox, or SPA9000 for call control. The Asterisk server could terminate the VPN, and the SPA8800 could provide the rest of your needs. Other products that may help you as bundle components are the WRV200 or WRVS4400N wireless routers. The WRP400 may also be of interest, but it does not terminate VPN, it does provide VPN pass-through though, and also provides two FXS ports. You'd still need a component for FXO needs.

Not much help I'm afraid. :-)

Good luck,

Patrick

-------

Stoyan Stoitsev Sun, 08/23/2009 - 22:33

Hello,

Are the Cisco SPA phones considered 3rd party in terms of CUCM licensing?

BR,

Stoyan

ayinscoade Mon, 08/24/2009 - 06:34

hi Patrick,

please i would wish if you could guide me through,on this deployment and what voice device i could purchase such as SPA8800's,and what are the various advantage,i have a remote office in another country and would want to route calls to my HQ,but i have a phone line,in my remote office i would wish to know which cisco device would i use that would support me to connect my phone line to the cisco ip phone device and could be able to route calls to my HQ,i would want to handle all support calls at the HQ.in terms of ip phone deives and routers.

thanks

rilwan

Patrick Born Mon, 08/24/2009 - 09:46

Hi rilwan,

Take a look at the Application note that I wrote about deploying the SPA8800. It is at: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7654

The network diagram on page 13/69 shows a remote SPA8800 that is registered to a head office Asterisk server.

The Cisco devices that you can use are also included in this same diagram.

The advantages of using a SPA8800 are described here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10446/index.html

Good luck with your deployment.

Regards,

Patrick

-------

ayinscoade Thu, 08/27/2009 - 06:20

hi patrick,

i what are the other gateway device that could be used apart from the SPA880,and also i would like to make my self clear in respect of the call forwarding from my PSTN line in my other site in another country, to my HQ IP telephone,and also making calls from my IP telephone in my HQ to PSTN lines using my PSTN in other site.i would like to have the step and device required and modalities.thanks

Patrick Born Thu, 08/27/2009 - 08:52

Hi,

Other Cisco SMB devices:

SPA8800 has 4 FXO and 4 FXS ports

SPA3102 has 1 FXO and 1 FXS port

Cisco has other gateways, but I'm not familiar with them.

Call Flows:

1. Remote PSTN to HQ IP phone:

Remote caller > PSTN > remote SPA8800 FXO port > VoIP > Asterisk server > HQ IP Phone

2. HQ IP phone to remote PSTN:

HQ IP phone > Asterisk server > VoIP > Remote SPA8800 > FXO port > Remote FXO port > remote PSTN > remote callee

#2 enails 2-stage dialing which is available in Cisco SPA gateways. More information on one stage and two stage dialing is available in the Cisco Small Business Analog Terminal Adapters Administration Guide available from the Cisco Community ATA page at: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2149

Regards,

Patrick

-------

rchilcote Mon, 08/24/2009 - 07:26

Patrick,

I hope you are entertaining questions about the SPA3102 in this forum, too. If so, here's my question:

I built a Trixbox system a few years ago for home use and used a 3102 gateway for a local Verizon POTS line and used the FXS port for a cordless phone. It was tough to get all of this working, but once configured, both ports on the SPA3102 registered using SIP to the Trixbox and I could make inbound and outbound calls without problems. About a month ago I started having problems with sending calls to my SIP service provider so I decided to rebuild my Trixbox using the latest code. I configured the Trixbox settings for the SPA3102 exactly as they were in the old system, but had problems with inbound calls. They just were not hitting the Trixbox even though both SPA ports shown as registered in the SPA3102 and Trixbox. After a few days of changing multiple settings in Trixbox to get this to work without success, I decided to reset the SPA to factory defaults and start over. Before I did, I captured the whole config with screenshots. I then configured the SPA identically to how it was before and magically started working. I double-checked all of my settings with the screenshots and they were identical. Any idea why this would be the case? This is actually the second time I had to reset the SPA to factory defaults to get it to work properly.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick Born Mon, 08/24/2009 - 10:23

Hi rchilcote,

Sure, I'm happy to try help with the SPA3102 and trixbox.

I'm assuming that you are trying to troublshoot inbound calls via your ITSP > trixbox and not inbound calls via your PSTN > SPA3102 FXO port.

There shouldn't be any need to factory reset the SPA3102, especially if it has been working without problem. My bet would be that the Internet Telephony Service Provider [ITSP] changed something on their end.

You mention that inbound calls are failing by "not hitting the Trixbox"

With SIP calls, the trixbox is a SIP proxy so calls are routed from PSTN > ITSP > trixbox > ATA > FXS port

Inbound SIP calls not reaching the trixbox imply that something may be incorrectly set on the trixbox or perhaps there's a registration issue between the trixbox and the ITSP.

Some suggestions:

1. Turn on debugging on the SPA3102. This may help identify any issues:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5405

2. Use WireShark and capture between the trixbox and the ITSP. Reviewing the trace may provide clues.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Patrick

-------

rchilcote Mon, 08/24/2009 - 10:30

Patrick,

Actually, I'm only using my SIP provider for long distance calls, so I never receive calls through that pipe. All inbound calls come through the Verizon POTS line which terminates on the SPA3102 FXO port. Once it hits Trixbox I have an inbound route pointing to the FXS port on the SPA3102 (I can also send these calls to one on my Aastra IP Phones). Anyway, I'll try your wireshark suggestion the next time it happens.

Thanks,

steve_vanburen Thu, 08/27/2009 - 09:48

Does the SPA8800 work in the BroadVoice ITSP in the USA? I cannot get mine to register, why?

Patrick Born Thu, 08/27/2009 - 14:40

Hi Steve,

I can't think of a reason why it would not work with BroadVoice.

Be sure to wait at least 5 minutes between changing devices if you only have one BroadVoice account.

Their proxies will block your IP address if they believe you're trying to register multiple devices to one account.

If you see registration requests going unanswered, chances are your IP address is blocked. Correct this by using a different proxy in another city or calling BroadVoice's support.

Proxies to use include:

- proxy.lax.broadvoice.com

- proxy.dca.broadvoice.com

- proxy.mia.broadvoice.com

- proxy.atl.broadvoice.com

- proxy.chi.broadvoice.com

- proxy.bos.broadvoice.com

- proxy.nyc.broadvoice.com

Regards,

Patrick

-------

nigholder Fri, 08/28/2009 - 06:54

Hello Patrick,

I have setup a SPA3102 router, I can call my PSTN number connected to it and be routed to the virtual number conected to the FXO port. If I call the virtual number on the FXO port it just trips the ring. How can I get it to work in the reverse by calling the virtual number and be routed to the PSTN number.

Patrick Born Fri, 08/28/2009 - 19:41

Hi nigholder,

The answer to this is that you need to configure the SPA3102 to function as a VoIP-to-PSTN gateway and as a PSTN-to-VoIP gateway. It's tough to provide verbose instructions here so I wrote a document for you and placed it on the Cisco ATA Community. The document is located here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-9919

Regards,

Patrick

--------

Dan Lukes Sun, 04/27/2014 - 01:09

MyCiscoCommunity is no longer open to public.

New references for documents mentioned in this thread:

• DOC-7654 (Configuring the Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway in an Asterisk Environment)
  • DOC-7420 (SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports [Data sheet])
  • DOC-2149 (SPA ATA and Gateway Documentation)
  • DOC-5405 (Debug and syslog Messages from SPA Analog Telephone Adaptors)
  • DOC-9919 (Routing calls between PSTN and VoIP with a SPA3102)

Actions

This Discussion