Views
Helpful
Replies

what is Ethernet handoff?

sivaprakasam81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

May I know what is Ethernet handoff? Will 3620 router will support for that? What interface card do I need to use for that?

Thank you,

Siva

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Means the provider will deliver the circuit with an ethernet interface.

3600's are quite obsolete nowadays, try to get something more current.

I have 3620 series router. will that support ethernet handoff? what interface do i need use?

Thank you,

Siva

What I'm trying to tell you is that 3600 series, any model, are obsolete for modern networking, and if possible you should use an ISR router, choosen according to the actual circuit speed.

Can I use NM-2FE2w (Two 10/100 Ethernet 2 WAN Card Slot Network Module)?

Do you mean 3620 will not support for Ethernet handoff?

What is the actual circuit speed ?

Fast ethernet

Do you have a circuit of true 100mbps ?

If yes, a 3620 is too slow for that, and you need a bigger router.

If no, specify what circuit speed are you purchasing from the SP, and for which purpose.

I just need the model number of the router with interface card for ethernet handoff.

Thank you,

Siva

No, you need a better understanding of networking. Routers are not like an electric plug that either fits or does not.

Every circuit speed and application requires a different router, that is why cisco makes so many models.

So unless you state what is the expected traffic and speed on your circuit, nobody can give you an answer.

Also try to understand the correct use of the rating system, it's not like you've to throw "5"s and "1"s to each answer depending how it suits you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: