Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Path Concern?

woodsbc
Level 1
Level 1

The following are the steps I took to upgrade from 4.1(3)SR1 to 7.0(2):

On the 4.1(3)SR1 publisher server, I installed and ran the 'CallManager Upgrade Assistant' version 4.3(9) which told me that I had met all of the requirements to upgrade to 7.0(2).

On the 4.1(3)SR1 publisher server, I installed the 'Unified Communications Manager Data Migration Assistant' version 7.0(2) and then ran the DMA Export utility to be able to migrate to 7.0(2). It ran fully and created a successful DMA export with 0 Warnings and 0 Errors in the export file and logs it created.

On the publisher server, using the provided media, I began the installation of the 7.0(2) version. When it asked me if I was going to be using a Windows DMA Export, I said yes and then it asked me if I was wanted to install a patch during the install, again I said yes and provided the 7.0(2a)SU1 patch media to do so. From there it installed just fine and I installed the two subscriber nodes for an uneventful install.

I am slowly converting offices, one at a time to this centralized cluster build. I have already moved over about 800 phones thus far but I caught one with a problem. The 'Product Specific Configuration Layout' at the bottom of the phone device configuration screen was missing - the last item displayed was the 'Secure Shell settings' and as a result, the 7941 was refusing the register to this newly upgraded cluster. I deleted the 7941 from UCM and then re-added it fixing the problem.

I am being told now that doing this upgrade from 4.1(3) to 7.0(2) with the patch upgrade to 7.0(2a)SU1 is not supported and is the cause of this phone DMA migration issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

I am a little concerned that our upgrade went so smoothly but now we have this one odd phone and possibly others in the database from the DMA export but the provided install and patch media didn't stop me from using a DMA or even give me a warning if this upgrade path isn't supported.

If I just find that I have to delete a few trouble few phones here and there during the migration of the other offices, fine, but I want to see if I could more serious issues here.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Brian

1 Reply 1

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Direct upgrade to 7.0(2a)SU1 using DMA from 4.1(3)SR1 is not supported.