Views
Helpful
Replies

Using BARs utility to back my CM

aktarmumin
Level 1
Level 1

hi team

i would like to back my CUCM 6.1.2 with BAR's Utility and gave up on using the freeftpd which i could get it to work.

i have downloaded the latest version of BAR software and in the cisco installation manual doc its just says to click on the installer.exe but does not say where to install ?

do i have to install this BAR utility on o a standard pc or on the call manager ?

i tried to install this on win xp pro px and i get the following error message ..about 16 bit ms dos subsystem etc ..

how do get the BAR software installed and then get it to back my CUCM>

i am new to the whole admin stuff ..

please advise, thank you

7 Replies 7

aktarmumin
Level 1
Level 1

please see the attachment for the error when installing BAR"S.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aktar,

In CCM 5.x and above this is now called "Disaster Recovery System" pretty cool! So you don't need to install the BARS Utility. Here is a look at the related info;

The Disaster Recovery System (DRS), which can be invoked from Cisco Unified CallManager 6.0 Administration, provides full data backup and restore capabilities for all servers in a Cisco Unified CallManager cluster. The Disaster Recovery System allows you to perform regularly scheduled automatic or user-invoked data backups. DRS supports only one backup schedule.

The Cisco Disaster Recovery System performs a cluster-level backup, which means that it collects backups for all servers in a Cisco Unified CallManager cluster to a central location and archives the backup data to physical storage device.

When performing a system data restoration, you can choose which nodes in the cluster you want to restore.

The Disaster Recovery System includes the following capabilities:

A user interface for performing backup and restore tasks.

A distributed system architecture for performing backup and restore functions.

Scheduled backups.

Archive backups to a physical tape drive or remote sftp server.

The Disaster Recovery System contains two key functions, Master Agent (MA) and Local Agent (LA). The Master Agent coordinates backup and restore activity with all the Local Agents.

The system automatically activates both the Master Agent and the Local Agent on all nodes in the cluster.

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/6_1_2/DRS_CUCM/drsag612.html

For these new CCM Versions BARS is no longer used :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you rob for these valuable tips..

let me read the guidelines thoroughly and i will revert back to you with some questions ..

Aktar

i forgot to mention , i have 2 call managers , primary and secondary these cisco guys set up , but have not tested yet and don't know how to and whether they are clustered ?

do i need to worry about back up ?

to test , is it just switching it one off and leaving the other one on ?

thank you

ok rob, i have read the doc as to best of my ability and excuse me for being blonde..first question?

i particularly fancy the scheduled back up DRS..this is my settings as follows :

Schedule name :Landor Dubai CCM

Device name : ccm ( this something done by the cisco guys?)

selected feature ticked: ccm , which is the device name ( this something done by the cisco guys?)

Start back up at 21/8/2009 time 01:00am

Frequency : weekly on every friday

Set as default >enabled schedule>save

Then in the schedule list window the device path is ccm (10.243.32.78:/) thats is ip address of the network adaptor that i am using on the pc that i use to admin the cm..so the question is where is all the back up being backed up to and how can see all the components that its backing to be sure ?

please advise and sorry for all the questions.

thank you

ok not sure what i have done back got the freeftpd and manual back to work and tweaking around with lots of things in DRS and Freeftpd..and the manual backup is a success and therefore will delete the scheduled backup for now. as per the documentation it seems like its backed all most core important files 17 files , please see the attachment and confirm in case of disaster we have the back for full restore of the CIsco IP tel system here.

thank you

Hi Aktar,

Yes, those are the files required to do a CUCM restore. As shown below;

DRS Supported Features and Components

Feature Components

CCM (CCM/CAR/CDR Repository Manager)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager database (CCMDB) includes Cisco Unified Communications Manager/CDR Analysis and Reporting/Call Detail Records)

Platform

(MOH) Music On Hold Audio Files

BAT Bulk Provisioing Service(BPS)

CCMPREFS Preference files

TFTP (TFTP Phone device files)

SYSLOGAGT SNMP (SNMP syslog component)

CDPAGT SNMP (SNMP cdp subagent)

TCT(trace collection tool)

CLM cluster Manager

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/6_1_2/DRS_CUCM/drsag612.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: