cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I NAT public addresses

svanguilder
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a bit crazy, but I have a situation where I would like to send some traffic with public IP addresses out of a router that needs to be NATTED. Our main Internet connection doesn't need to be as the IP space is routed back to that device, the other one isn't. I can't get the ASA to NAT this space. Is it even possible? And is so how? Anyone tried this?

3 Replies 3

stoneystone
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure exactly what you have here, but you can NAT a public IP address, from the inside of a network.

nat (inside) # 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Whether it's a public or private address on the inside, you can NAT it. You can then do a static to the inside address you need.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Scott

There is nothing inherently special about public IP addresses other than they are routable on the internet so yes you can NAT a public IP address to another address. The other address could be another public IP or a private IP.

But it's not clear from your post what it is you are trying to do. Perhaps you could provide some more details with devices, layout, ip addressing details and the config you have that is not working ?

Jon

I got it working. I put in a static route and once I pulled it out it started working. Not sure why it didn't like a static route, but who am I to argue with success. Thanks for the input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card