Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL with cisco 871

lubosbella
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

our customer has a branch office that should be connected to central place via VPN site-to-site connection.

In branch is in use ADSL line via ethernet cable with name and password authentication again ISP network. For connection will be used a cisco 871 router in branch with two ethernet interfaces (LAN/WAN).

in central is ASA for VPN termination.

How to configure this router to work with ADSL circuit and what type of VPN to use? (maybe a PPPoE protocol...)

Can someone help how to configure this via CLI?

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not necessary.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, take no offense but it seems to me you have no experience whatsoever in configuring routers and VPN solutions.

If you try that yourself no doubt you will get some result eventually, but it may cost you a lot of time and frustration.

My recommendation would be that you hire a reputable professional for the job.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paolo's right. Your current situation does not permit you to begin to learn while your client's network suffers. Find a spare unit to practice and learn.

Configuring Your Router for Ethernet and DSL Access

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/enetintr.html

Ok, no problem im not a cisco guru...so imagine that we are in testing environment....

Im going to do PPPoE against ISP. I used SDM (version 2.5) and it give me this set of command:

interface Vlan1

ip tcp adjust-mss 1412

exit

interface FastEthernet4

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 2

pppoe enable

exit

interface Dialer1

exit

default interface Dialer1

interface Dialer1

ip mtu 1452

no shutdown

ip address 62.168.11.52 255.255.255.192

dialer pool 2

dialer-group 1

encapsulation ppp

dialer idle-timeout 120

dialer fast-idle 20

ppp authentication chap pap callin

ppp pap sent-username jeff password 0 *****

ppp chap hostname jeff

ppp chap password 0 *****

exit

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

----------------------------------

But my router stops on pppoe enable commnad with output: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. So it is not know this command....i dont know why? - maybe needed only in older IOS...

-------------

If i try to set PPPoE step-by-step using this guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/enetintr.html then my router don`t know command protocol pppoe in vpdn enable--request dialin--(there is only protocol L2TP command)....

my IOS: Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

So im doing a mistake or i cant use this command in this IOS version?...

Problem is that i cant verify if my config is real working for now because i have not a dsl line with pppoe....so im looking for good preparation.

Thank.

The guides are sometime outdated and wrong.

If you use the SDM it will also make a lot of errors. For example the correct ip mtu on dialer1 should be 1492, not 1452. And 1452 as for adjust-mss. The rest seems fine.

Ok,

i corrected it to good values. So commands "pppoe enable" in fastethernet interface or "request dialin-->protocol pppoe" are probably not necessary with this vesion of IOS? (i cant type it and SDM write error)

Thanks.

Not necessary.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Thanks,

i set it up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card