Helpful
Replies

Adding a 9124e to an existing 9509 Switch

jfliesser
Level 1
Level 1

Guys:

Config info:

I have a HP C class blade enclosure, with 2 new 9124e's in it. I need to activate it,and figure on doing the following:

Define 2 T ports on the 9124e, and connect them, to 2 Fx ports on the 9509.(1 9124 to each 9509 for redundancy)

Here are my questions:

1) I am thinking that once the ports are connected and activated, the 9509 will propogate the existing config over to the 9124e, and I will modify the zone defs copied into the 9124e, and then activate the zoneset in the 9124e. Is that correct?

2) What happens when I activate the zone (zone 10 copied from 9509-1) in the new 9124e switch? Will it activate the zone in the 9509 also?

3) Since the 9124e has no Flash card, do I make the changes, copy the config to startup-config on the 9124e? will the changes be propogated to the 9509?

4) If the changes are copied to the 9509, do I login to the 9509, and copy the active config to the 9509's startup-config and flash drive?

Are there any other issues I am missing? Sorry for the questions, but any info will be a HUGE help.

Thanks

SAN Man

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

You can connect 9124 to 9509, though there is principal switch selection, the principal switch plays a role only during adding different switches and assigning or managing the domain ids. If you give static domain ids (different ones for each switch you add), then role of principal switch is very less.

It is better to have username/passwords (snmp/cli) synced across all the switches, so that from FM you can manage all switches in the fabric.

Having different username/password does not affect FC traffic and you could still activate a zoneset on a vsan from a switch you have permission, the zoneset active/full (based on config) will get distributed to multiple switches.

If the ISL is broken, then switches will operate standalone, providing access to locally connected devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/troubleshooting/guide/ts_zones.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/troubleshooting/guide/ts_port.html