CCENT to CCIE timeframe?

Unanswered Question
Aug 17th, 2009

Hello all! I am new to the forums and, to some extent, to Cisco. I'm currently exploring different options for my career, and came across some study material for the CCENT, and I have to say I'm quite interested. I'm currently pursuing a B.S. in Accounting, though I have taken some CIS and CS courses and plan to continue to get a B.S. in CIS or CS. I've worked with computers and technology for the better part of my life, and when I started studying the material for the CCENT, I found myself easily learning the material. That said - I was wondering if anyone would be able to estimate some sort of reasonable time line for obtaining a CCIE cert starting from the bottom? I am very diligent in my studies and am confident that I could obtain this cert. Any ideas, or advice? Thanks in advance!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Wilson Samuel Tue, 08/18/2009 - 03:49

Hi,

Welcome to the Human Network!!

To obtain a certification is one thing and to gain a comfortable hand is another, having said that I certainly dont want to discourage you.

However IMHO, after CCNA, within an year or 2 one should be CCNP (if also CCDA) and then go ahead with either CCSP or CCVP and then CCIE in the respective field.

That way you will have experience to back the certifications and also to make a good hands on that would come only during a job experience not via the certification.

HTH,

Kind Regards

Wilson Samuel

PS: Please rate all helpful posts.

jim_berlow Tue, 08/18/2009 - 07:49

There are too many variables at work to give you any kind of accurate timeline. Everything is going to depend on your study habits, your work experience, your finances, and the amount of time and drive you have to dedicate to the process. For me, the entire process took about 12 years. For another guy I know it took him about 2 years. And others will start but never complete.

The best thing you can do is to abandon a timeline. CCIE's are made during the journey to the certification (not merely by passing a test).

I hope that helps!

Jim

veoeluz2268 Tue, 08/18/2009 - 15:23

Thanks a lot guys for giving me your insights! I seem to come across a wide range of answers, but it's good to know that it definitely can be done (in under a decade). I only ask this question because I want to have (however remote,) an idea for what to expect upon entry into the field (if I do indeed to choose this career path). Just trying to plan ahead for the moment and see what my options are. Thanks again guys for your insights!

Actions

This Discussion