cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort S160 and Windows 7

abhishek.1024
Level 1
Level 1

We are testing windows 7 in our organization. However ,on the machines running Windows 7 , there is yellow triangle on the internet connection.
When we put the IP address of the machine in a policy that does not requires no authentication, the yellow triangle goes away.
We have several Vista machines , and they are fine.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks,
Abhi

6 Replies 6

jowolfer
Level 1
Level 1

Abhi,

Can you please post what the yellow triangle states when you mouse over / click it? Usually IE will provide further details.

I have a hypothesis that browser may not like the fact that the WSA us doing NTLM instead of Kerberos, since MS is trying to move over Win7 to primarily support Kerberos.

Please let us know more about the yellow warning.

abhishek.1024
Level 1
Level 1

When you mouse over the yellow triangle, there are two options
(a) Troubleshooting- When you use this option it takes you to the default microsoft page
(b) open network connections- This takes you to network connections. The computer is connected to domain controller whereas there is a red cross on connected to the internet.
However the user can still browse the internet

abhishek.1024
Level 1
Level 1

Also when we add the IP address of the machine running Windows 7 to an access policy that requires NO AUTHENTICATION, the yellow icon on Network Connection disappears and under Network Connections , it shows that the computer is connected to the Internet

RBC____CS
Level 1
Level 1

I think win7 is trying to contact a site on the internet to confirm that it can get out. If the ironport is blocking that specific site, it would never be able to do that confirmation.

Jason_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Abhi,

If you grep the accesslogs for the IP address of the Windows 7 client, do you see it trying to connect to a particular site?

In case you are not familiar with grep, connect to the IronPort CLI via SSH, and type "grep" and hit enter. Select the "accesslogs" from the log selection menu. When asked for a filter expression, enter the test client IP address. Case sensitive doesn't matter. When asked if you want to tail the logs, please select 'Y'. Select 'N' for paginate the logs. Now try to "Repair" the network connection on the Windows 7 client and you should be able to see if it is trying to connect to a particular website to check for Internet connectivity.

Michael Kim
Level 1
Level 1

I found out that Win 7 checks with site msftncsi.com to determine if the computer is on the internet. I setup a category for "no authentication" and after placing that site in that category the error went away. It's not really that important since I don't rely on that icon to determine if I'm online or not but I just wanted the error to go away.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: