cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd party IM client with CUPS

joe.bennett
Level 3
Level 3

I'm trying to configure Pidgin (was GAIM) to work with CUPS 7 and I can't figure out the username/password settings. I've tried the obvious ones (ie what I use for CUPC) and I get logon failures. Anybody have any luck getting any non CUPC client to work?

3 Replies 3

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

CUPS only supports CUPC client (for now). No 3rd party client can connect to CUPS directly.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Given that the IM protocol is SIP/SIMPLE it should work fine with any IM client that supports SIMPLE. I believe that some guys inside Cisco had got it working with GAIM a while back but I just can't figure out username @ domain. I know that it's not officially supported, it's more a case of getting some IM support on my Linux laptop.

From technical point of view, I don't see how it could work.

To send an IM, you need to have at least two entities - the sender and the recipient.

Sure SIMPLE is a standard protocol. But how could you construct the SIP URI without appropriate user interface (GUI)?

If you built the client from scratch, yes, it is possible to get it worked with CUPS (or any standard SIP server).

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: