Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribution Problem

jmoss1
Level 1
Level 1

Help

I'm trying to redistribute some statics into OSPF using a route map (see config). However they don't enter the routing table. I've searched the web but can't find what i'm missing

any ideas?

config attached

cheers

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Your configuration seems to be OK. Can you confirm by issuing the command show ip ospf database external that the routes have been redistributed into your OSPF process? Are they present in the routing table in the first place?

Also, note that the OSPF LSA5 that carry your external routes have a field called "Forward Address". If this field is not 0.0.0.0 then it will probably be populated with an IP address of the recommended next hop. Make sure that this IP address is reachable on your remaining OSPF routers, otherwise the networks in these LSAs are considered unreachable.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for quick response.

I've had a look and they don't make it into the database. Also the forward address is 0.0.0.0

the next hop is a tunnel interface (directly connected), would that make a difference? those are not know in OSPF but i don't need them to be

Hello,

You are welcome. You have written that they don't make it into the database, yet you say that the forwarding address is 0.0.0.0. I am now confused - if the networks didn't make it to the database how can you see their forwarding address?

Perhaps you see the LSA5 of other routers. Your own LSA5 can be displayed using show ip ospf database external self-originate.

The interface name as the next hop specification should not be a problem here. The primary goal now is to see your redistributed networks in the OSPF database.

Have you tried to remove the 'match tag' statement from the route-map - just to see if the networks get redistributed? If it works without the 'match tag' then it's probably an IOS bug. If it does not work, neither, then check if the redistributed networks are indeed in the routing table before having them redistributed.

Best regards,

Peter

Got there in the end, I removed the route map and still nothing. I remembered that the route was also advertised elsewhere as we are migrating. Removed that route and it popped up. Put route maps back and it is working fine.

Thanks for all your help, sometime can't see forest for the trees!!!

Hello,

You are heartily welcome.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco