cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI Lamp doesn't turn on

hadisharifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, we are using Unity 5 with CUCM 6. Everything was working fine like people could leave a message and the WMI light turn on but it doesn't do that anymore. People are still able to leave a message and it gets delivered to their mail boxes and they also get the notification on the phone but the MWI doesn't turn on.

Any help would be appreciated.

17 Replies 17

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

When Unity takes a message for a subscriber, Unity then hands off the message to the mailstore (Exchange/Domino) and the mailstore in return sends a notification to Unity that a new message has arrived. (diagnostics can be enabled on the Unity server to determine if that is happening). When Unity receives the notification it performs any notification tasks that are enabled for the subscriber (i.e. MWI, SMS Notification, SMTP Notification, Notification call to work, home, etc.)

You stated that "they also get the notification on the phone but the MWI doesn't turn on". Could you clarify what you mean by that? Are you refering to the envelope icon that shows up on the IP Phone next to the line appearance or are you refering to some other type of notification such as SMS or SMTP Notification to a cell phone? If the later, then it would seem Unity is receiving notification from Exchange (at least for that user). If this is the case, you might want to check the application event log on the Unity server for any errors. Perhaps there is a dial plan conflict when Unity goes off hook to dial the MWI on/off code.

Without more information, it is difficult to say what is going on.

Thanks for your help,I gave the wrong info before, there is actually no notification on the phone. Normaly we get the evelope icon but we no longer get that, it's only the wav file that gets delivered to the user outlook inbox.

Is this happening for all users or only certain ones? Make sure Windows Firewall wasn't turned on... this has been known to block MAPI notifications coming from Exchange. Also verify that AvNotifierMgr and AvMsgStoreMonitor services are started on Unity. If those don't yield anything, the problem may lie with the mail store.

Troubleshooting MWI Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x (With IBM Lotus Domino)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/troubleshooting/guide/dom/5xcutsg080d.html

Troubleshooting MWI Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x (With Microsoft Exchange)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/troubleshooting/guide/ex/5xcutsg080e.html

Brad

Thanks Brad, It's happening for certain users not for all the users. Firwall hasn't been turned on the unity if that is what you mean. Both of those service are started on the unity.

Has a manual Refresh on the affected subscribers' "Messages" menu cleared up the issue?

I would also maybe try the BulkSubscriberLogout tool located in Commserver\Utilities for these users and see if that helps you out.

Brad

I refereshed the message page of the subscriber but it didn't help.

Is there a way to do the logout operation for a single user? What is the potential risk of doing this for all the users?

The logout operation for a single user can be done by filtering by extension and just enter the same extension for the range. The impact will be relatively the same as if you forced a complete MWI resync.

Brad

I just did an MWI resynch but it didn't do anything. I also changed the DP, Partition and CSS of the phone that doesn't get it's MWI turned on to the one that does but still no luck.

My knowledge of unity is very limited, how do I view the particular logs which may indicate an issue.

I would still perform the Bulklogout, it doesn't simply resync, it logs the user out of the notification table which an MWI resync does not.

Assuming you set the MWI traces per the doc, you'll want to "Gather Log Files" using the diagnostic tool and choose "select logs" and choose the AvMsgStoreMonitorSvc and AvNotifierMgr components and select the logs that are timestamped during your troubleshooting.

I would also check the application logs at the time of a manual MWI refresh and see if any errors/warnings are apparent.

Thanks, I tried the bulklogout for one user only with the user extension 2691, once this was done I called this extension and left a message. I have attached the output from the log relevant for this particular user.

Thanks for your help everyone.

It's probably best to open a TAC case for these users' MWI problems; hard to say whats going on. Judging by one of the lines in the log, Unity doesn't think its supposed to monitor that user.

Brad

Hi,

I know the others responding have much greater knowledge than I, but i have seen this when not associated with unity. You can check using unity tools,switch intergration,cisco unity server, then under tools check subscriber phone association. check one that work against one that is not.

Hi, I have just been told that some of the users have been migrated to a new domain which has a new exchange and this is probably the reason why it's not working for them. Can someone please tell me how to get the unity talk to the new exchange servers while maintaining the communications with the old one for the users not migrated yet.

If the Exchange server that the users were moved to is in the same Active Directory forest, you can re-run Permissions Wizard and be sure to choose the new mail stores that these users were moved to in order to ensure that Unity has access to them.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: