Expired CCNA on resume

Unanswered Question
Aug 18th, 2009

Just a quick question I wanted to ask. I generally think of my resume as a brief snapshot of my working professional life, I think most people would view it like that. While I don't always do it, depending on the job and whether or not I feel as if there is some value in putting it in, I will sometimes list my CCNA in this fashion on my resume:

CCNA - Expired 2008

I havn't been lax about certifications, there are many of them I have and that are current, but recently a friend and I had a disagreement on whether or not Cisco's policies specifically prohibit the listing of the CCNA in this fashion.

My position is that as long as it is listed accuratly (IE. Expired if it is expired), then that is in line with Cisco's policy that the CCNA must not be mis-represented and the company not disparaged.

His position is that if you didn't renew, you can't list it and that it's against Cisco's certification policies.

I asked the online Cisco Certification Support team, shown below is their reply.

Anyone know for sure what the deal is?

**********Cisco's reply*************

Response (Certification Support Center) 08/17/2009 11:43 AM

Dear Jason

Thanks for contacting the Certification Support Team.

In general, Cisco can only verify Active Certifications. If your certification is expired and you choose to list your CCNA certification in this matter you are not providing inaccurate information.

If you would like further information about the CCNA Certification, please visit www.cisco.com/go/ccna

Once you recertify your CCNA you may allow third parties to verify certifications by using the "Publish Credentials" option within the Certification Tracking System.

1. Go to Certification Tracking System at www.cisco.com/go/certifications/login

2. Click on "Publish Credentials"

3. Select the credentials that you would like to publish.

4. Enter the email address of the recipient you want to send the verification report to.

5. Enter the message you want to include in the email to the recipient.

6. Click Preview Report to preview the report (Optional).

7. Preview Report page is watermarked "VOID - Sample Only"(the actual report sent will not have the watermark). Note: If you want to make modifications or do not want to send the report, click the Back button.

8. Click Publish Report to publish the report.

9. Status message will be displayed in red at the top of the page under your name and candidate ID number: "Your certifications have successfully been published."

10. Click on a menu bar to the left to continue.

For information regarding our Certification Program, please visit our Certification Online Support at www.cisco.com/go/certsupport.

Best regards,

Adriana

Certification Support Center

Anyways, figured someone here might have an answer with a little more clarity. To me, doesnt make any sense that I wouldn't be able to as long as it's listed accuratly.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Wilson Samuel Wed, 08/19/2009 - 04:37

Hi Jason,

I guess Cisco won't mind it if you posted it on your resume as Expired-2008 (no point pursuing a single soul for the sake of proving her might) however on the contrary, I would be rather surprised to ask you, why you wont want to be re-certified?

Its more worthy and more fruitful, isnt it?

Regards

Wilson Samuel

jason.ingram Wed, 08/19/2009 - 04:55

Thanks for the reply. :) I actually have obtained quite a few certs since my CCNA expired, from a job perspective other things have just been more important professionally than re-upping this. I'll probably go ahead and try to re-up it as soon as I finally finally updating my MS certs to the next product levels. Still a little to go on that.

Oh well, learning never ends right. Thanks for the words.

J.

howtonetwork Wed, 08/26/2009 - 00:00

Why don't you put that you are taking the CCNA and then give the date? There is no problem with being an expired CCNA or saying so as you are being honest about the expiry date.

It should only take a few weeks to pass again as the basics of routing and access lists haven't changed.

Cheers

Paul Browning

www.howtonetwork.net

Actions

This Discussion