Layer 3 Switch Routing Question

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2009
User Badges:

I have switch-1 and switch-2. Switch-1 has vlans 10, 20, 30, and 40 on it. Switch-2 have vlan 110, 120, 130, and 140 on it.

Each vlan is associated with its own /28 subnet. How do I route between the two switches? Do I need to create an interface VLAN on each switch for the other switches VLANs and put an IP on it then trunk the things together? I'd rather not steal an IP since space is tight as it is.

James

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
glen.grant Wed, 08/19/2009 - 04:23
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

where is the routing done now between the vlans ? If they are layer 3 switches doing there own routing then you would need to have a connecting link with a /30 subnet between them and set static routes for all your vlans between them or implement a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF or EIGRP to control the routing . If those are layer 3 switches you don't need another vlan setup just make the connecting link routed ports instead of creating another SVI and putting the ports in the vlan which would work but its easier just to make those routed ports.

jfraasch Wed, 08/19/2009 - 04:32
User Badges:

Truth be told these are Dell chassis switches. I cant put IPs on individual interfaces.

But I think your idea still work.s

Set up VLAN 500 on each switch and connect a cable between the two ports that I put that vlan in. I can run OSPF between the two which would be better than static routing everything.

Actions

This Discussion