Views
Helpful
Replies

Missed Start for Compliance Mgmt jobs

adery6300
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Yesterday I've scheduled two jobs to run during the night to adjust some minor config details (summer timezone, and snmp contact), and this morning I find that they did not run, and are both in "Missed Start" status in Job Mgmt (Compliance/Deploy Jobs simply says "Failed").

I tried running the same jobs again immediately and they also say "Missed Start". Even a simple compliance check (without deploy) now says "Missed Start".

I've search the forum for Missed Start and couldn't find much.

Any ideas ? Should I just blindly reboot my server ?

Thanks,

Alex.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The Test Exception message is CSCsr93277. A patch is available from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one to fix this bug. It is not serious.

The real problem is:

Job 5101 Instance 0 launch failed:Open::Append failed

This means that there was a problem writing to the Registry. Jrm needs to register the job to run under the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco\Resource Manager\CurrentVersion\Daemons. A policy must have changed on the server that forbids casuser from being able to write to this branch. Fix that, then restart Daemon Manager, and you should be able to run jobs again.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

bonjour,

what version of LMS are you using?

Is this a new install?

Can you attach a screenshot of the error?

Here is a list of things to do:

- check for this device snmp - and credential

- enable debug

- run a sync archive manually

- sniffer trace the traffic between LMS and device you choose

- collect job folder and log

Bonjour à toi LAvramov!

Using LMS 3.1, not a new install, it was probably upgraded at least once from 3.0.

I've attached a screenshot from Job Browser.

Device credentials and SNMP are ok : I finished cleaning them up last week.

I'm having trouble sniffing the exchange right now, so I'll post as soon as I've fixed that.

In the meantime, could you tell me exactly what debug to enable, and where is the job folder+log that you want me to collect ?

Thank you!

merci.

can you go to the job detail and tell me what you see?

Also can you please capture from the CLI the output of pdshow to a file. Example pdshow > pdshow.txt and post it?

What version of LMS are you running?

for the job logs, there should be a folder with the job id number. Search for example for a folder named 5101

Voilà,

The job details doesn't say anything about the outcome of the job, if it never started. I've included a screenshot.

I'm running LMS 3.1

I've included the pdshow output and the job file from job 5101 as requested.

Thanks for the help!

Actually missed start time is most likely a jrm/job registration issue. The jrm.log would be helpful to see.

Hello,

I've included what seems the relevant section of jrm.log, and also a screenshot of the jobs from the CM job browser, which is really more helpful than RME's job browser.

Also, I'm seeing a _ton_ of error messages like this, outside of the errors_jrm.txt I'm uploading for you. Are these serious ?

---

Test Exception is : java.sql.SQLException: JZ0S2: Statement object has already been closed.

---

The Test Exception message is CSCsr93277. A patch is available from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one to fix this bug. It is not serious.

The real problem is:

Job 5101 Instance 0 launch failed:Open::Append failed

This means that there was a problem writing to the Registry. Jrm needs to register the job to run under the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco\Resource Manager\CurrentVersion\Daemons. A policy must have changed on the server that forbids casuser from being able to write to this branch. Fix that, then restart Daemon Manager, and you should be able to run jobs again.

Thanks, I'll have a look at this first thing tomorrow morning, and I'll install the patch for the log filling bug at the same time.

You rock! (you too laramov, jclarke was just quicker :D )

I had a typo in who writes to the registry. While jrm runs as casuser, it is Daemon Manager's job to write to the registry. Daemon Manager runs as the built-in SYSTEM account. So it is the SYSTEM user which must be able to write to the aforementioned registry branch.

I had this verified by the server administrator and everything was fine. I didn't have any more time to troubleshoot so we rebooted the server and the problem went away.

I _hate_ doing that, but we can only work for so long without a properly functionning LMS :)

Thank you for your precious help!

the test message is not something you should worry.

It's in bug: CSCsr93277 Daemons.log or jrm.log fill up with a Test Exception message

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco