Configuring 1142 to use for site survey.

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2009

Just got in a bunch of the 1142 N-A-K9 APs. I need to set them up to do a site survey with.

Don't seem to be able to find anything on the site.

Has anyone used yet for site surveys? The radios are off by default.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 08/19/2009 - 14:39

This is going to be difficult because th 1140 only comes with LWAP image instead of autonomous, however, Cisco has announced that the autonomous IOS (aIOS) will be released before the end of this year.

The 1130 and the 1140 have similar radiation pattern. If you can find a spare 1130, you can use this for your site-survey.

Hope this works.

mbzowski Thu, 08/20/2009 - 05:59

You can survey with 1142. You can do two ways in lightweight mode. One would be to use it with 2106. This could be cumbersome as you have to carry around UPS so you can power the 2106 and use PoE on 2106 to power 1142. This way you can adjust channels and power levels on the AP as you see fit from cell to cell. Second method would be to configure the AP for HREAP mode on the controller and assign your custom power levels and channels. Then you can just use that AP without the controller to survey and power it up thru a PoE battery pack. The custom power levels stay on both 2.4 and 5 GHZ radios but channel only stays on 2.4GHz. Due to FCC and DFSS the 5GHz channel will most likely change each time you boot the AP. If you keep the AP on the battery pack for the duration of the survey it will stay on the same channels. So the negative to the HREAP mode survey is that you can't adjust channels and power levels as you move from cell to cell easily as you would have to connect it back up to the controller. Surveying with 1142 is helpful as from my experience they have a better footprint than 1131s. Hope this helps.

fmirza007 Wed, 10/07/2009 - 10:23

This Discussion