cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1131 - how to determine "elevation" for location server?

mstrz
Level 1
Level 1

I have some AP1131's. These have internal omni-directional antennas, so they are just square boxes with a plastic cover on the top and a mounting bracket on the bottom. I think they are supposed to be mounted upside-down on the ceiling (horizontally), but I'm not sure.

Mine are mounted in the ceiling, but vertically, so the top cover is pointing towards a certain area of the building instead of the floor.

So I'm trying to figure out how to set the "elevation" in the location server maps. I read that 0 degrees means the top cover of the AP points to the right (east), and 180 means it points to the left (west), and 90 degrees means it points down toward the floor. So I think I need to set mine up as 0 degrees or 180 degrees, but how do I tell it that it's pointing north or south?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that setting is not used for that ap.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Check the two following documents:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.0/configuration/guide/wcsmaps.html#wpmkr1129876

- The antenna angle is relative to the map's X axis. Because the origin of the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) axes is in the upper left corner of the map, 0 degrees points side A of the access point to the right, 90 degrees points side A down, 180 degrees points side A to the left, and so on.

- The antenna elevation is used to move the antenna vertically, up or down, to a maximum of 90 degrees.

AP configuration antennas

HTH

Thanks, I saw that document. However, I don't think that applies to AP's with internal antennas, as I cannot actually move them. It also doesn't explain what is "side A".

Best is to mount it on the ceiling itself, not vertically but horizontally.

Dont mount it on the wall, it has to be placed horizontally.

I will try to find out about the A side but, in your case it does not matter.

Thanks, I will try to remount them. Once they are placed horizontally, do I set it to 0 degrees or 90 degrees down?

once you place it horizontally, choose Elevation: 90 degrees down

Hopefully this resolves this post :-)

Thanks for the reply. When I check the AP details, I have two settings: Antenna elevation and AP elevation. The Antenna elevation is set to 90 degrees up, and I can't change that setting. So if I change the AP elevation to 90 degrees, won't the antenna be at 180 degrees (horizontal)? Or is that setting ignored for this type of AP?

that setting is not used for that ap.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card