Helpful
Replies

few questions about standard based hdlc,ppp

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body

I have few questions.

1) Will standard-based hdlc also use keepalive messages like cisco's hdlc ?

2) multilink support in ppp

My book says if a router has two parallel ppp links, then multilink ppp features will cause the router to segment the packets into two equal length frames then send on one link then send other one on the other ppp link.

How about if router has 4 ppp links, will router segment the packet into 4 small frames as well?

3)LQM feature

When router is configured for LQM,, lcp at each end of the link sends messages describing the numbers of correctly received packets and bytes. The router then compares this number of in-error frames to the number of frames and bytes it sent and it then calculates percentage loss. the router can take down the link after a configured error rate has been exceeded.

My questions is how about router calculated packet loss does not exceed the configured error rate,rather it is just equal to configured error rate. Will router still bring the link down?

Lcp sends messages desribing the numbers of correctly received packets and bytes .

How often this message is exchanged ?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

1) what do you mean by standard-based hdlc, what RFC are you referring to?

2) if 4 interfaces are in your multilink bundle, yes.

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah,

1)

The standard HDLC based on IBM's SDLC protocol does not have keep-alive messages. The original type of transfer mode was NRM (Normal Response Mode) but this was replaced later by ARM (Asynchronous Response Mode) as the former only provided half-duplex communication while the latter provided full-duplex.

Keep-alive was introduced with Cisco's HDLC as an extension called SLARP (Serial Line Address Resolution Protocol).

2)

Yes

3) I suggest reading http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1548.txt

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah,

1)

The standard HDLC based on IBM's SDLC protocol does not have keep-alive messages. The original type of transfer mode was NRM (Normal Response Mode) but this was replaced later by ARM (Asynchronous Response Mode) as the former only provided half-duplex communication while the latter provided full-duplex.

Keep-alive was introduced with Cisco's HDLC as an extension called SLARP (Serial Line Address Resolution Protocol).

2)

Yes

3) I suggest reading http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1548.txt

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card