Is CBT Nuggets Enough?? CCENT

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2009

Hello,

I am new to Cisco but already hold several entry level certs, such as comptia's A+, Net+, MCP, ext.

I have been studying for the Cisco CCENT using the CBT Nuggets material. I think the material is presented great and I understand it! My major concern is that I also purchased a text book; "CCENT Study Guide" by Todd Lammle published by SYBEX. This textbook seems to contain TONS of material not included in the CBT Nuggets material. Do any of you have experience taking the exam only preparing with the CBT Nuggets material? Also the concepts presented in the SYBEX textbook seem very confusing. The subnetting has concepts that appear extremely hard and different than from CBT Nuggets. Will I be in good shape with just using CBT Nuggets to prepare for the exam?

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Mike

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jimmysands73_2 Wed, 08/19/2009 - 18:20

While I am watching the CBT CCNP videos, I can not say they are going to be enough...you want to rely more on the book then video. I would also recommended posting this question to the CCENT fourm on the cisco learning network, they might be able to give additional feedback:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccna?view=all

and

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccent?view=all

Good luck,

Jimmy

Dean Brandt Wed, 08/19/2009 - 18:25

Hi Mike.....speaking from my experience here....no. I passed CCENT a while ago using CBT Nuggets, but alos used Chris Bryant's "handbook", and spent a mountain of time on my own lab equipmet just going through the setups, troubleshooting etc.

I passed ICND2 recently for CCNA and was surprised how "easy" I found it...now...easy is a statement I use as the general feeling in here is that the CCNA is not easy. But I think given the materials I used that certainly helped me immensely. Jeremy on CBT was a good laugh at times, broke up the long hours. Chris Bryant's printed material is good, and at times a little more extensive than that on the videos of CBT, and his support is fantastic...ask him anything and if he can, he helps.

Dean

Dean Brandt Wed, 08/19/2009 - 18:26

Hi Mike.....speaking from my experience here....no. I passed CCENT a while ago using CBT Nuggets, but alos used Chris Bryant's "handbook", and spent a mountain of time on my own lab equipmet just going through the setups, troubleshooting etc.

I passed ICND2 recently for CCNA and was surprised how "easy" I found it...now...easy is a statement I use as the general feeling in here is that the CCNA is not easy. But I think given the materials I used that certainly helped me immensely. Jeremy on CBT was a good laugh at times, broke up the long hours. Chris Bryant's printed material is good, and at times a little more extensive than that on the videos of CBT, and his support is fantastic...ask him anything and if he can, he helps.

Dean

bluereign Fri, 08/21/2009 - 15:52

No it's not. The CBT nuggets is a great way to see how to setup a lab and do real world type of situations and get used to the commands to the point that you don't need to memorize them because you 'know' them. I would highly recommend investing in some cheap routers and switches if you want to take Cisco certification seriously. You can pick up 1720 very cheaply if you're on a tight budget or 2620 for a little more. 2950 switches seem to hover about 50 to 60 bucks on ebay and a few of those can't hurt but you can live without them if you must.

Learn subnetting like the back of your hand. I'm prepping for the BSCI and I can just look at an address and figure out it's network address, broadcast address and range all in my head within about 10 seconds. You get that good at it and you'll be fine on time when you take the CCENT.

araujojoel Fri, 08/28/2009 - 11:19

mikejensen83,

my experience with the cbt nuggets for the CCENT and ICND exams, is not enough.

Jeremy gives very useful information and steers you in the right direction. It's also useful to have a feel for exam type questions and and other scenarios.

The cisco press official guides, were also helpful.

Have a look at the cisco games arcade,

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-2608

They give help you understanding the concepts, but also put you under some pressure by having time limits to solve the challenges, like the exam.

Actions

This Discussion