cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

streaming ip cams into VLC

gary-grobe
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any information anywhere's about streaming video from the new IP cams, specifically the CIVS-IPC-4500 HD cams, into VLC?

Any help much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

ecarabias
Level 1
Level 1

Try to open this URL: rtsp://user:password@IP_address:554/mpg4video.mp4. It works with the SD cams.

Regards!

I'm not sure I understand how that would work w/ VLC (v1.0.0). Open a network stream, select the protocol and ip, and then play. There's no such choice for the user, passwd, etc... and how do you expect to authenticate w/ the camera first?

The interface to the HD cams expect you to log in, but there appears to be no option for what IP to send a stream to in the stream settings web interface of the cam either.

Any other ideas there?

High Definition (HD) IP Camera

As with the SD IP camera example, VLC Media Player can also be used to view the video streams from Channel 1 and Channel 2 from the HD IP camera. Accessing the Video Stream on the HD IP camera requires gathering additional

information from the HD IP Camera. You must access the HD IP Camera via HTTP to gather the following parameters: sessionID, ChannelName for Both Channels.

• Navigate to the Streaming Settings on the Camera web page and get the sessionID parameter from the “URL”

ie. HTTP to HD IP Camera

http://10.1.1.1/home.cs?version=1.0&sessionID=12345678&action=get

• Confirm & Record the Channel Name (s). For Example, "Channel1" or “Channel2”.

URL Location: rtsp://< HD CAMERA IP ADDRESS >/StreamingSetting

StreamingSetting = ?version=1.0&action=getRTSPStream&sessionID=< SESSION-ID >&ChannelID=< 1 or 2

>&ChannelName=< Channe1 or 2>

ie.

rtsp://10.1.1.1/StreamingSetting?version=1.0&action=getRTSPStream&sessionID=12345678&ChannelID=1&ChannelName=

Channel1

In the example above,

‣ 10.1.1.1 is the HD Camera IP Address.

‣ 12345678 is the sessionID from the URL. This will be different for each new session.

‣ Channel ID is “1” and ChannelName is “Channel1”

Simply Use the RTSP URL above in the Media Resource Locator (MRL) field in VLC

Howdy,

I have tried to the your suggested steps and am unable to play the video streams using VLC 1.0.1 for Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP.

I am certain that I was able to get the correct session-id. I used your method of finding it manually in the URL, and in addition to that I wrote a Python script to find it for me.

Python script (needs lxml library) : http://pastebin.com/f12201bfd

The Python script also allowed me to grab the config XML for my cam which can be found at: http://pastebin.com/f7a8901ed

I ran vlc with this command:

vlc "rtsp://192.168.5.146/StreamingSetting?version=1.0&action=getRTSPStream&sessionID=62687518&ChannelID=1&ChannelName=Channel1" > /tmp/vlc-error 2>&1

the resulting output can be found at : http://pastebin.com/f2b1cef2e

*important note. the original error log contained thousands of the following string

"number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one"

starting like

"VLC media player 1.0.1 Goldeneye

[0x8ba5140] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

insane cropping not completely supported, this could look slightly wrong ...

FMO not supported

reference overflow (pps)

reference overflow (pps)

B picture before any references, skipping

decode_slice_header error

number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one

number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one

number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one"

I have trimmed them out show the more salient parts of the log.

Could you please offer advice.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: