UC520 in a larger CUCM environment pros and cons?

Answered Question
Aug 20th, 2009

I have an opportunity to sell and install a UC520 with about 20 users.  It is for one office of a very large organization that already has Cisco CME and CUCM in many locations.  We are getting some push back from a competing vendor that they need to have a CME on a 2851 with CUE module.  The UC520 is half the price of the CME solution and seems more appropriate to me based on the size of the office and the fact they have no plans to ever grow larger.

So my question is if anyone can think of reasons that a UC520 would or would not integrate well into a larger CUCM network? 

For example, I assume inter office dialing should not be a problem to configure.  But, what about admin and monitoring tools?  I think CCA is just for UC520, right?  CUCM and CME would typically be administered in a large organization how?

Thanks for any input.

Brandon

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 7 years 3 months ago

You are going to have some problems with support.  UC500 is not supported with CUCME or with CUCM.  I am not saying it won't work, but you just aren't likely to get any support when you have problems and I know that some features will not work like the UC500 being an SRST router.   You can make a SIP trunk connection to CUCM and to CUCME, but you won't be able to use CCA for most of this to do the configuration anyway.

Every organization has different monitoring tools, but likely are SNMP based for CUCME.  CUCM has many different tools available.  For configuration, CUCM has a web based GUI.  CUCME has CCP, which has a very different feature set than CCA.  They do not do the same things and have different focuses.  CUCME also has a basic GUI, but is configured mostly though CLI.  The only real pro is cost up front.

Correct Answer by Steven DiStefano about 7 years 3 months ago

UC520 has a limit of 5 sites in a multisite (full mesh) network, and is a distributed model.

UC520 has a limit of 10 total remote teleworkers (this includes multisites)

UC520 doesnt support SRST

UC520 doesnt support advanced routing protocols (usually placed behind a SIP Trunk SP demarcation router)

UC520 runs an IOS/CME/CUE bundle which does not offer every feature you can configure on ISR CME

UC520 has a configuration Assistant (CCA) which helps with Day0 and Day one configuration.

UC520 tops out at 64 users.

UC520 does have SNMP MIBs so can me monitored from a NOC

UC520 supports lower cost phones using a tokenized SCCP protocol called SPCP so is perhaps price advantaged.

Steve D

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Steven DiStefano Thu, 08/20/2009 - 11:10

UC520 has a limit of 5 sites in a multisite (full mesh) network, and is a distributed model.

UC520 has a limit of 10 total remote teleworkers (this includes multisites)

UC520 doesnt support advanced routing protocols (usually placed behind a SIP Trunk SP demarcation router)

UC520 runs an IOS/CME/CUE bundle which does not offer every feature you can configure on ISR CME

UC520 has a configuration Assistant (CCA) which helps with Day0 and Day one configuration.

UC520 tops out at 64 users.

UC520 does have SNMP MIBs so can me monitored from a NOC

UC520 supports lower cost phones using a tokenized SCCP protocol called SPCP so is perhaps price advantaged.

Steve D

Correct Answer
Steven Smith Thu, 08/20/2009 - 11:12

You are going to have some problems with support.  UC500 is not supported with CUCME or with CUCM.  I am not saying it won't work, but you just aren't likely to get any support when you have problems and I know that some features will not work like the UC500 being an SRST router.   You can make a SIP trunk connection to CUCM and to CUCME, but you won't be able to use CCA for most of this to do the configuration anyway.

Every organization has different monitoring tools, but likely are SNMP based for CUCME.  CUCM has many different tools available.  For configuration, CUCM has a web based GUI.  CUCME has CCP, which has a very different feature set than CCA.  They do not do the same things and have different focuses.  CUCME also has a basic GUI, but is configured mostly though CLI.  The only real pro is cost up front.

Brandon Svec Thu, 08/20/2009 - 11:31

Thanks to both Steves for the quick replies.  I guess there is some argument for not using this system in a larger Cisco environment.  The price difference is so extreme though that it might make sense based solely on that..

David Trad Thu, 08/20/2009 - 15:14

Hi Brandon,

I guess there is some argument for not using this system in a larger
Cisco environment.  The price difference is so extreme though that it
might make sense based solely on that..

It is not just the price alone that makes sense :)

I have been in your situation a few times now, the reality is you have to look at the business itself as that is the only way to identify and marry up the correct system for their operation.

How you describe the layout of the opportunity in my mind says that it is a UC-500 proposition, not a CUCME or other ranges.

I have learnt in the Cisco world there is an actual thing as over subscribing a customer to something they do not need, and let me tell you it will come back to hurt you one day, and in more ways then you might realize.

In reality i would allways only recommend a system that will grow with their business for up to a maximum of 5 years, but aim for more of the shorter term of 3 years, the reason for that is by the time the business reaches this term everything should be reviewed again, if nothing has changed in the business structure or growth, then nothing should change with the system setup.

Either way good luck with coming in stronger then your competitor :)

Cheers,

David.

David Trad Wed, 08/26/2009 - 21:59

Hi Bob,

True

This is a show stopper in any large organization that has the system you mentioned in my opinion.

Again true in most instances but not all, again it comes down to the use of the appliance that should dictate the install paramteres... well for me that is, but we all have our own genuine way of seeing things.

I am surprised a UC500 would be so much cheaper than a 2821 with appropriate licensing in CME and SRST mode?

In a market that is becoming heavily saturated and heavily competitive, even from one Cisco VAR to another not just from other vendors, every single bit of savings to the client is a closer step to winning the deal, however one has to be EXTREMELY carefull not to compromise the client with an under specked system just to win the deal, the sad thing is there are some Cisco VAR's out there that have underhanded tactics which i beleive personally devalues Cisco to the client, its a pity Cisco is not shielded from this, but that would be a far stretch to think they could be i think every organization has their fair share of moon streakers ;).

Cheers,

David.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content