Views
Helpful
Replies

What Router do I need to do BGP WITH default Route Only from two ISPs

CCDECCDE9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What Model will take the load of BGP and getting just Default Routes from two ISP's ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I suppose you are asking about Cisco router models here.

I believe that any router whose IOS is capable of running BGP will do in your situation. Even the 800 series with a proper IOS can run BGP. And of course, all higher platforms do as well - the 1841, 2801, 2811 and so on. Running a BGP receiving only a couple of routes from a pair of neighbors is not any particular load for your router. I would instead try to select a router basing on the throughput it has to provide for your network.

So don't worry about a router that runs BGP in your scenario. Focus on the routing capacity. You will then be able to select an IOS for that platform that contains the support for BGP.

By the way, do you know the Cisco Feature Navigator? It allows you to see which IOS supports a particular feature. You can use it to find the proper IOS feature set for your selected router.

http://cisco.com/go/fn

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card