Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding this behavior, SVI configuration

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Here is something that I am not sure if I understand:

1) I connected a terminal server which has pre-configured IP=192.168.30.1 to a Cisco switch 2900.

2)When I ping 192.168.30.1 from the Cisco switch, it times out.

3) Then I assigned on the Cisco switch'int vlan 1 = IP 192.168.30.2'.

Then I was able to ping.

I don't understand this though. If the terminal server is already on vlan1, why I was able to ping it only when assiging the IP to the vlan1 interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

You can only communicate between 2 IP devices when they both have an IP address.

So until you assigned an IP address to vlan 1 then you could not ping the terminal server. And because the 2900 is a L2 switch then the vlan interface that you assign the IP address to has to be in the same vlan as the terminal server, or you need a routing device somewhere to route between the switch and the terminal server.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Can you post your config?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

You can only communicate between 2 IP devices when they both have an IP address.

So until you assigned an IP address to vlan 1 then you could not ping the terminal server. And because the 2900 is a L2 switch then the vlan interface that you assign the IP address to has to be in the same vlan as the terminal server, or you need a routing device somewhere to route between the switch and the terminal server.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card