Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding this behavior, SVI configuration

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Here is something that I am not sure if I understand:

1) I connected a terminal server which has pre-configured IP=192.168.30.1 to a Cisco switch 2900.

2)When I ping 192.168.30.1 from the Cisco switch, it times out.

3) Then I assigned on the Cisco switch'int vlan 1 = IP 192.168.30.2'.

Then I was able to ping.

I don't understand this though. If the terminal server is already on vlan1, why I was able to ping it only when assiging the IP to the vlan1 interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

You can only communicate between 2 IP devices when they both have an IP address.

So until you assigned an IP address to vlan 1 then you could not ping the terminal server. And because the 2900 is a L2 switch then the vlan interface that you assign the IP address to has to be in the same vlan as the terminal server, or you need a routing device somewhere to route between the switch and the terminal server.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Can you post your config?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

You can only communicate between 2 IP devices when they both have an IP address.

So until you assigned an IP address to vlan 1 then you could not ping the terminal server. And because the 2900 is a L2 switch then the vlan interface that you assign the IP address to has to be in the same vlan as the terminal server, or you need a routing device somewhere to route between the switch and the terminal server.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card