Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7606 Router IOS Upgradation

almamun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are going to purchase Cisco 7606 router with SUP32 and Basic IOS.

My question is: Do we upgrade the IOS in Advance Enterprise Service/Advance IP Service in future if we required?

Does Cisco lock the IOS that we will purchase right now?

Regards,

Mamun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi.

No, the IOS is not locked to the version you buy the Sup with. However, you are expected to pay the necessary fee for upgrading, even if you may be able to download the version you need from CCO.

Cisco has for many years been using the trust model for IOS, i.e. trusting their partners and customers to pay for the IOS type they use. So if you have bought a Base image and at a later time need Advanced, then you will be able to download and use the Advanced image - but you are violating the trust.

It's up to your own honesty in the end, but if you misuse the trust, then you might be penalized if or when Cisco finds out. And it is an illegality.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

The IOS you can access is tight to your CCO profile and contract. For an exact answer, if your account will be locked, check with your sales / account team, they will tell you best. It depends on the sales contracts.

Do you buy the Basic or Advanced, well it depends on the features you want to use.

I recommend that you look at the feature navigator, to see what features are supported in which IOS featureset: www.cisco.com/go/fn

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Right now we need to buy basic IOS but after 3 months later we need Advance IP Service.

My question is: Can I upgrade the 7606 router with Advance IP Service without knowing Cisco?

Does Cisco lock any IOS in the 7606 router?

Regards,

Mamun

Hi.

No, the IOS is not locked to the version you buy the Sup with. However, you are expected to pay the necessary fee for upgrading, even if you may be able to download the version you need from CCO.

Cisco has for many years been using the trust model for IOS, i.e. trusting their partners and customers to pay for the IOS type they use. So if you have bought a Base image and at a later time need Advanced, then you will be able to download and use the Advanced image - but you are violating the trust.

It's up to your own honesty in the end, but if you misuse the trust, then you might be penalized if or when Cisco finds out. And it is an illegality.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: