cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expected Failover and Packet Loss with VSS, eFSU and non-DFC linecards

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know any real world failover times for this scenario.

VSS with 6748-GE-TX w/ No DFC running 12.2(33)SXI2

According to what I have read on CCO there should be no packet loss just bandwidth reduction of 50%.

During SSO supervisor switchover, when the IOS images match, do the linecards still have to reset?

What about during eFSU ISSU upgrades? It looks like without DFC you would have a linecard reset. Wouldn't that reset occur on both supervisors?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael,

I used eFSU to upgrade 2 of my VSS switches from SXI to SXI2. This function works as advertised. We did not lose a single ping packet and the only thing that you lose is 50% of your bandwidth for a short time.

Remember, this only works if you are upgrading from one major release to another (i.e. SXI to SXI2).

HTH

Reza

Do all of your line cards have DFC-3C cards in them?

Our 10 Gig cards do but not 1 Gig cards

I read in the VSS eFSU documentation that without the DFC cards in the line cards you would experience a line card reset. Did this occur on the your non-DFC enabled cards? Do you recall how much time passed during the reset? Did the servers just continue to pass traffic on the other active VSS switch?

Hi Mlouis

Can you please share the document which is mentioning that without DFC cards in the line cards you would experience line card reset

Hi Mlouis

Can you please share the document which is mentioning that without DFC cards in the line cards you would experience line card reset

Hi Reza

Using EFSU, I want to upgrade the Cat.6513 switches running in VSS with currently installed IOS -ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin.

Want to upgrade to lastest available version in SXI which is SXI13

Eager to understand from members here how successful ISSU is on 65xx platform and does it really mean zero downtime impact?

Any practical experience from those who performed upgrade in VSS scenerio using EFSU

When standby chassis get reloaded in ISSU loadversion step then only all the modules (Service modules & line cards) on standby chassis get reloaded or the modules on Active chassis will also get reloaded.

When Active chassis get reloaded during switchover in ISSU runversion then only the modules (Service modules & line cards) on Active chassis get reloaded or the modules on standby chassis will also get reloaded.

I have service modules installed in both the chassis. Does EFSU have any dependency on these service modules.

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ 
  3    1  Application Control Engine Module      ACE20-MOD-K9       
  4    6  Firewall Module                        WS-SVC-FWM-1       
  5    8  Intrusion Detection System             WS-SVC-IDSM-2      
  6    8  Network Analysis Module                WS-SVC-NAM-2-250S  
  7    5  Supervisor Engine 720 10GE (Active)    VS-S720-10G        
  9    8  CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC            WS-X6708-10GE      
 10    8  CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC            WS-X6708-10GE      
 11   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP              WS-X6748-SFP       
 12   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX     
 13   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX   

Hi Reza

Using EFSU, I want to upgrade the Cat.6513 switches running in VSS with currently installed IOS -ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin.

Want to upgrade to lastest available version in SXI which is SXI13

Eager to understand from members here how successful ISSU is on 65xx platform and does it really mean zero downtime impact?

Any practical experience from those who performed upgrade in VSS scenerio using EFSU

When standby chassis get reloaded in ISSU loadversion step then only all the modules (Service modules & line cards) on standby chassis get reloaded or the modules on Active chassis will also get reloaded.

When Active chassis get reloaded during switchover in ISSU runversion then only the modules (Service modules & line cards) on Active chassis get reloaded or the modules on standby chassis will also get reloaded.

I have service modules installed in both the chassis. Does EFSU have any dependency on these service modules.

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ 
  3    1  Application Control Engine Module      ACE20-MOD-K9       
  4    6  Firewall Module                        WS-SVC-FWM-1       
  5    8  Intrusion Detection System             WS-SVC-IDSM-2      
  6    8  Network Analysis Module                WS-SVC-NAM-2-250S  
  7    5  Supervisor Engine 720 10GE (Active)    VS-S720-10G        
  9    8  CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC            WS-X6708-10GE      
 10    8  CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC            WS-X6708-10GE      
 11   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP              WS-X6748-SFP       
 12   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX     
 13   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX   

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card